Shortest possible Savage S/A chassis?

Darryle

I bought a Savage 7mm-08 for the kids and need a highly adjustable chassis so all 3 can use the rifle. Youngest is 7 and the oldest is 16.

I started with a Ruger Predator 6mm Creedmoor that I bought a LSS MDT chassis for, but the throat was so short that bullets in factory ammo was being crammed into the lands and if they were not fired, the bullet would remain stuck in the lands. Ruger is out of 6mm Creedmoor barrels and I have not been given any time line on when it will return.

So I need a quick viable option to get them back to the range.

Thanks Darryle

MDT LSS Gen 2 has a pretty short forend and used AR stocks, so you can slap on a telescoping for the adjustable LOP and cheek weld.

MDT LSS Gen 2 has a pretty short forend and used AR stocks, so you can slap on a telescoping for the adjustable LOP and cheek weld.

Let me clarify, I need the LOP to be the shortest, not the OAL.

Does anyone have the LSS-XL version in the fixed stock configuration? Will an AR15 buffer tube screw into the extension? If so, it appears to be about 1" shorter than the Carbine version and that will work for the youngest kiddo.

Last edited:
I have been researching different chassi models and seeing what's out there. I can't answer your questions for sure but I would bet you can.
I have an action ? for MTD and am waiting for a call back from them. I'll ask for ya.

Does anyone know if you can screw a buffer tube into the XLR element folder chassis directly, that would get me down to the 11 1/2" LOP I would need for the 7yo
Yes you can. I have an Element on my .30 LARA and ended getting a shorter buffer tube to give me more adjustment versatility.
20201011_120002.jpg

The MDT gives option for a fixed stock or AR pattern buffer tube.

Their carbine skeleton stock clamps to the tube for both the butt and the cheek weld.

1642742887817.jpeg

I have a fixed stock type on my ACC so I'm going off memory from seeing one at a match. Looking at the above pic, If OD is good you could use a pistol tube or hack down the carbine tube to get a very short LOP. I believe MDT quotes around 9.5" minimum LOP for the LSS Gen2 with the skeleton carbine stock.

Let us know what you find out. I'm looking for something a bit more a minimal to replace the ACC under my Sav 12LRP.

Check out the overview from 5:47, you can see based on the adjustment range that a creative father such as yourself could make a very short stock with a hacksaw. 🙂

I think I have the LSS with a adjustable stock from lothar my wife is 12.5 lop so I know it will go that short but maybe more I can check and measure if needed

Thanks

Buck

Please do

Thanks, Darryle

With the luthar at stock goes down to 12.75 the way I have it set up and as about 1/2 more adjustments on the tube. So maybe a little over 12 and if you took off the hard plastic butt plate you could be close to your desired length. I bet there are shorter tube or altogether stocks that would go much shorter

Thanks

Buck

Attachments

• 772CF087-8DE9-4440-9CA3-803B5D3EBD96.jpeg
    772CF087-8DE9-4440-9CA3-803B5D3EBD96.jpeg
    817 KB · Views: 15
  • 02B94076-11EC-47AC-A362-53699C798EEA.jpeg
    02B94076-11EC-47AC-A362-53699C798EEA.jpeg
    867.5 KB · Views: 15