shortening a 300 wm barrel from 24 to 26

gspman

I am curious if there any considerations I should consider if I had a rem700 xcr (300 wm) ss shortened and recrowned.
(26 in to 24 in)
It has a 1-10 twist.
Special corrosion resistant coating
I want to use this as a elk /mule deer rifle and want to be able to carry it easily in a eberlestock pack.

I understand i would lose ~ 50 fps in velocity.
Any suggestions as to the type of crown?
Any suggestions as to who locally in South or central Wisconsin?
How much should this realistically cost?

I am 5'10 in boots and believe it would much easier to navigate with if it was a wee bit shorter.

Thanks in advance
Scottgun)

I've got to agree.

Dad is 5'9" and I'm just under 6 feet. We both shoot stainless Weatherbys with 26 inch barrels when elk hunting, sometimes carried on a sling and sometimes on a pack. Never had a problem yet navigating the woods, or thought I should go with a shorter barrel. Same when I'm in some of the thick woods here in MI deer hunting.

I'd try it a hunt or two first before considering it. Once you shorten it you can't reinstall that 2 inches (which is true about almost everything :D ).

I was looking for the right place to ask my own question, and I just had to look in this thread to see how you SHORTEN a barrel from 24" TO 26" LOL.

Since i'm in here. I'm 5'9" and hate dragging my 24" rifle barrel through brush. But I'd never dream of cutting it. Where I hunt with a 12 Ga however, I use a 18" Mossberg barrel on my Rem. 870 pump. THAT... I can switch back pretty quick.

I to am 5' 10" and carried a 24" barrel for 30 years. I tho't it great until I had a 27"r stuck on it. Bumped the muzzle against some trees for a couple of hunts then things were back to normal. Upgraded to a larger caliber for the woods now. The carry rifle sports a 26" barrel.

I've done some brush stompin' with a 30" barrel + brake. It wasn't too bad though the rig is a bit heavy. When carried properly this rifle isn't even a problem slung across the front BAR style of Muzzle Up in a pack.

BTW, who's the dude that invented the muzzle down carry system for packing. Seems awful strange to me.:rolleyes:

You didn't mention what kind of corrosion resistant coating it has. Depending, it might chip a little. Why not try 25" instead of 24". If that's not suitable, then go to 24". Barrels can be like stocks in the respect that 'what you cut off ya' can't put back on'. Barrel length ain't everything, handling characteristics matter, too. Seems there's at least one 'smith in Wisconsin that advertises here, Coyboy, maybe?

ok ..i mistyped th 24 to 26.... i meant cut fro 26 to 24....Its kinda implied though don't ya think.

Don't get me wrong, it really like the 26in barrel for bench shooting and even brush busting,,, not that bad

My point is that extra 2 inches causes the stock to stick out a bunch from the top of my pack...and it seems to snag everything from the top. I am tossing the idea out, I have thought about punching a hole in the bottom of my scabbard or extending the tip by sewing some leather or cordera.but then it would be too low on the bottom.
Climbing big rocks, cuts ect... its kinda a pain

Cuts us short folks a break for asking a legit question

You're probably average height, so don't worry about that.

My thought is that if you go to 24 that you'll still hit branches, and you'll keep whittling away at the barrel until you get to the point that it sticks out no higher than the top of your head. :D General recommendation is to not have a rifle on a sling on your shoulder walking through the woods so that you don't hit the barrel on branches. In a way, that's exactly what you're doing.

I think you'll either have to learn how to navigate it through the woods like an elk does with his antlers, or just remove it from the pack when you're in the woods.

Good luck.

I put my 700 with 28" barrel in my Eberlestock J105 and walk around through the elk woods with no problems. Granted I don't try to go through thickets, but normal woods walking is not an issue. I'd stay with 26".

just reading your thread you want a shorter barrell. There is nothing wrong with that. you might find a better rifle balance and improved accuracy. the prices should be reaonable. there really arent any special considerations. I doubt that any velocity differences in 2 inches is going to make any real difference in the field. just sight her in and go. and as far as the crown goes any of the common ones will work fine for you. find youself a good gunsmith and have what you want

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.