shorten barrel risks vs. reward?

hillbily

i own a remington 700p in 308win, it has the 24" bbl, but i find it ungainly and awkward to handle in the field, i've spoken to a gunsmith about cutting it back to 19" i think that would make it easier to get in and out of my truck and into hides, i realize i'll lose velocity (have heard anywhere from 20fps -75fps per inch) the maximum range i shoot at game (coyotes) is 600 yds usually no more than 400yds. my question is will the shortened barrel potentially affect my accuracy, i've heard a shorter barrel is stiffer thus less whip and possibly more accurate, any prespective would help thanks

Last edited:
IMO velocity will be the only thing lost. Shorter barrels generally are stiffer and more accurate I think you will be fine at that length. Velocity isn't everything so long as you hit where you aim.

Good luck and good shooting.

-Nathan

Go for it. The 700P was also offered in a 20," and offers better accuracy IMHO.
With the .308's short powder column what you lose in velocity won't bother you out to <600yds.
You may have to switch powders to optimize the shorter barrel, but it's relatively easy to do.

Compare a REM 660 length to the M700. Accuracy in the 660 Mohawk series in 308 has been excellent with all the qualities that you are seeking. Good Luck

I think you'll be fine. Yes you'll loose some velocity...not a big deal... and whip...if anything less. Let us know how it works for you.

i own a remington 700p in 308win, it has the 24" bbl, but i find it ungainly and awkward to handle in the field, i've spoken to a gunsmith about cutting it back to 19" i think that would make it easier to get in and out of my truck and into hides, i realize i'll lose velocity (have heard anywhere from 20fps -75fps per inch) the maximum range i shoot at game (coyotes) is 600 yds usually no more than 400yds. my question is will the shortened barrel potentially affect my accuracy, i've heard a shorter barrel is stiffer thus less whip and possibly more accurate, any prespective would help thanks

I wouldn't shorten without hesitation, for your uses.
I use barrels shorter than that with great results,and many times the powder capacity is quite a bit more than the 308 Win family.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.