short-throated 7RM

Jbroom

Does anyone know how difficult it would be to lengthen the throat on a rifle? I bought a 7MM Rem Mag and have to seat bullets extremely short to stay .010 - .020 off the lands. Heck, even if I seated them .010 into the lands, the OAL would still be .150 shy of what the reloading books all say. I'm used to being able to load longer than OAL, as that is usually something dictated by magazine length, not the throat of the chamber. Any thoughts?

What kinda rifle is it?? My winchester model 70 in 25-06 is the same way, but let me tell you it doesnt seem to care as it shoots under .5" with several different bullets. Just load them as far as your magazine, or .010" off lands, whichever comes first.

It's a Winchester Model 70 Black Shadow. I guess the only reason I'm concerned about it is the reduced case capacity. I have a 7MM-08 and bought this for the ability to load to higher velocity and/or effectively use larger bullets.

Must be a Winchester thing then. I also have a Rem 700 7 RM. Been playing with quite a few bullets, from 140g btips to 175g sierra gamekings. Been using RL-22 and Retumbo. I am getting .5" groups or better with ALL bullets tested so far, and thats about 5 or 6 of them. Only thing is, my rifle shoots great at the lower velocity scale and RL-22. I am only getting 2850-2875fps from 162g bullets, and 2800fps with 175g bullets. Thats where the accuracy is anyways. I can get them to go faster, but accuracy goes down the pot. My faster accurate loads are with the 140g btip and 168g VLD. Both take a good charge of RL-22 and the 140g shoots 3250fps, and the 168g VLD shoots 3000fps. I would just load some up to the lands and go try them out. I will say though, a 7-08 doesn't look to bad when its only 100fps behind a 7 Rm while burning **** near 20g less powder. I'm not very happy about it, but what can I do.

So, you don't see much sense in taking it to a gunsmith and having the throat reamed out a little? (I presume they can do such things...) I guess I just want all of the performance I paid for (and pay for in recoil) from the 7RM.

FYI, I just switched over to RE23 and hit my original 2930 FPS with a 180 VLD for my 7RM. Zero pressure signs. All I was doing was matching the custom turret burnt for this rifle. Accuracy at 200 is excellent when we zeroed it at altitude, as they were fitting into a 3/4" dot with two different shooters. Mine also has a standard Sammi seating, shorter than I wanted. Probably spec'd out with the 175 Remington core lok back in the day.
There is plenty of leftover case fill in the 7RM. Max published loads will show 87% case fill if I remember right (Nosler load data)
Certainly you can lengthen the throat. I plan on it for my 280AI to get away from donuts. About .080 deeper to cover 2 bullets I want to use.
Did you ever find pressure in a ladder workup and look for an upper node?

Knock knock.

Who's there?

A super old thread.

A super old thread wh…wait a minute, I see what's going on…oh, crap!

6B334E62-3AD6-4B11-B602-191F95500F20.gif

Recent Posts