Short rifle

My Kelbly 22-250 is 18in and my newest "shorty" is a 6mm Creedmoor w/20in Proof. Keep in mind, when you go this short, even shooting them suppressed, they are noticeably louder.
Short250.jpg

6Creedmoor.jpg

My truck gun is a 308 Steyr Scout with 19" barrel. 168 grain Barnes works on just about anything you encounter. $15 a box cup and cores makes it fun and easy on the wallet.

IMG_1373.JPG IMG_1376.JPG IMG_1374.JPG These aren't as cool as bolts. But 19" barrel in 308. Used to shoot the 150 Federal fusion. Haven't had it out in a lot of years. Might try to reload for it. Your thread got me thinking of truck gun. It doesn't weigh 5 pounds. I gave the bushnell to my brother. Now I want to get it out and play with it again. Picture next to American Preditor with 22" barrel. Shorter than a yard stick

My truck gun is a 308 Steyr Scout with 19" barrel. 168 grain Barnes works on just about anything you encounter. $15 a box cup and cores makes it fun and easy on the wallet.
It's too bad more people don't appreciate these rifles. I've never had a do-it-all rifle like the scout. I had Steyr make a one off for me and first time wife used it... now it's "hers" and I have to ask to use the dang thing... we love hunting with it!

(Off subject)To be honest if you made me choose my favorite short barrel I would take my 45/70 guide gun with 300 gr Winchester it's good out to 300 with foot and a half of drop and it kills good

your 45-70 with a 300 gr bullet at 2000 fps and a 100 yard zero will be about 12" low at 200 yards and at 300 yards about 43" low. with a 200 yard zero with the same bullet and fps will be about 6" high at 100 yards and and 25" low at 300 yards. I shoot 45-70,s in ruger-Winchester single shot rifles and use target scopes with clicks along with a good range finer to shoot long range with the 45-70,s. knowing the exact range is a must to hitting at the longer ranges.

I think its kinda neat having a thread about short barreled rifles, when I did my first one (2003) I was pretty much considered strange on a site I posted on at the time. Few years later I built another one, this time the fellow at LW barrels did his best to discourage me. Thing is both rifles carry well thru heavy cover where I hunt the most and don't catch on every limb when I climb into a treestand. I was told that they wouldn't shoot well, too much barrel whip, again that wasn't as big of an issue as I found. Just don't shoot long strings and overheat them! I built a 260 and a 7mm-08 and they both are in the fours at 100yds and load work isn't quite done yet. Only downside I have found is that when hunting and you take a shot... MAN do they make some noise. Glad building a short rifle gets positive response these days. Awesome gun Pics! Dave

After much consideration and a little research, I think I am going down the road with the 6.5 grendel. I don't need a lot of knock down power and I can build it on a short/mini action keeping the overall length down. I have a dedicated 6.5 suppressor so with the little powder being burned it should still be relatively quiet with the shorter barrel. Plus it will be a fun plinking gun to tote around. I am thinking of a Remington Mod 7, 17" bartlein 3b to start off with. Get an action with 223 bolt head, have it opened up and install an extractor etc.. should be handy

Good choice, Mod 7 is a great pic as well, my hunting buddy uses one and loves it. Let us know how the Grendel works out.

You know, the ones that came out in digital camo with the 10 round box mags before Savage caved to the PC police and ditched the Indian head logo?
yes I remember them, Savage is no stranger to change, but I guess its better than standing still. My dad started with savage rifles in 1948, I started in 1976, been using them from then till now....I've built 5 so far and considering number six this year. Got that original logo on my truck cap back window :)

Point blank to 250 being +- 3" out to 250 with a 16" barrel. I don't have much experience with 16" suppressed velocities, but I would guess you will be in a lighter bullet if you were to try 308 depending on elevation. 7-08 or 260 might get you there.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts