Short range trajectory with long range rifle

Philward

Was out to shoot my Rem700LR IN 7mmRM, 162g eldx at right at 3000fps. This is a load I developed for the gun for the previous owner. I was seeing it after changing scope bases and installing in new stock from Stockys stocks. At 50yds I was 3/4" left and perfect for elevation so I adjusted windage of the rear base but went a little too far so back just a smidge. Went to 112yds and fired 3 and they were all in the bull, elevation right on. Typically if I'm good at 35-50 I'm 1-2" high at 100. All but a couple of my toggles are 22" barrels and the others are only 24". Need to try at longer range 2-300yds for sure. Is there a difference in trajectory with 26" barrels at shorter range, hard to believe the bullet is dropping past the zero point already at 100. Or that it isn't climbing still at that point. But maybe I'm not thinking this through and even if I raised the POI at 100 to 1.5" high it would still be dead on at 50. Won't be dialing this scope, it will be set for a 250 yd zero and stay there 90% of time. Maybe dial for targets for fun. No competition or hunting (too heavy to haul around).

At 25yrds POI is low, so would 50yrds if the scope had zero elevation...if I remember correctly.
The way the scope is mounted with zero MoA bases is with the bullet rising from a point where the 2 plains cross.
Which is why it is low at 25yrds from POA.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.