Short Range Feral Sheep Hunt :)

wildcat338

Me and a couple of buddies did a 1 day sheep hunt this past saturday with Outfitter Gene Ramos and Guide Billy Duarte of Hawaii Hunting Tours on the Big Island of Hawaii.

We were lucky to find the sheep early just coming off thier beds and beginning to feed. This was our buddy Mike's first sheep hunt so he had first shot.

After looking over some sheep the bigger ones were always mixed in thick with other sheep not giving him a shot. Finally a nice ram seperated just enough to allow a shot and Mike made the most of it dropping him there with his 308 win.

DSC00491.jpg

My Buddy Mike with both of our rams, his is on the left

The herd bolted and I found a big ram but lost him as they went into a depression on the lava flow. I got on the sticks and waited no one could tell if the big ram had come out or not as it was hard to tell with all the sheep running so tight together.

While watching for the big ram a nice tight curl ram came out of the depression and made the mistake of looking back he was dead before he hit the ground he just dropped when the bullet hit him. I was using a 25-06 using 115 NBT's. As my luck would have it the big ram came out and ran away unscathed. Oh well thats hunting maybe next time.

DSC00493.jpg

Me with both of our rams, mine is on the right

This shot caused the herd to move on so we prepared to cape and bone out the 2 rams we got. As we did the guide noticed sheep heading our way. The shots mustve stirred up another herd close by. So my buddy mike and I waited while the guide and my buddy Gary went off to try his luck. It didnt take long before a couple shots rang out and he had 2 rams down a nice trophy and a freak horned ram that the guide told him to shoot as he didnt want that ram to breed having inferior genetics.

DSC00495.jpg

My Buddy Gary's ram

DSC00494.jpg

Another pic of my buddy Gary and his ram

Got the sheep boned and caped and headed home. All before 8:30am All in all it was a great time with great friends. My buddy miks shot was at about 40-50 yds,my shot was at around 75-80 and my buddy Gary's was about 50 yds or so. I'll take'um close when I can :) Hope you all enjoy the story and pics.

Aloha,

Dom

Stormrider Thanks! As our luck would have it we seen some MONSTER Rams after we had our rams on the ground but its all good we just have to schedule another trip SOON...LOL!!!

I got a message from a buddy last night he said he got a 35" mouflon/feral sheep hybrid. And wants me to come up again so we see if I can get up there as the sheep are still in the rut on his place.

Aloha,
Dom

slopeshunter thanks!!!

The meat is VERY good on these sheep no gameness and VERY tender. We usually smoke the meat and its usually gobbled up before it cools...LOL!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.