short range deer hunting with 300 rem ultra

jonado

I may be going deer hunting in PA in a few weeks. my only rifle is my 300 rem ultra Sendero. I reload everything I shoot. currently loading 210 Berger, 190 and 220 SMK, Barnes 180 Triple-x. any recommended bullets for hunting these smaller deer at shorter ranges? no, I will not be looking to buy/borrow a weaker cartridge rifle. I have a box of 130gr barnes X and 180gr XLC.

TSX are often noted to destroy less meat, if that is important to you.

Some say that you can eat right up to the bullet hole. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif My vote goes to the TSX for that reason.

If you went with the 130's you might end up shedding some petals with the velocity at closer range like i've done in the past, that's why I say go with the 180's

I actually reload 180g TSX's for my 300 RUM, I shot a forkie sausage deer this past weekend at around 75yard, I had an odd angle, right in threw the new and exit wound was still about golfball sized through the ribcage, but practically no meat other then the ribcage was ruined. My friend also reloads 180 TSX's for his 300 Wby, nailed his at around 200 yards and very minimal damage compared to what I'd expect. They have my vote of confidence on any game and won't ruin meat unless you get expansion and hit a bad spot! I say this because my buddy shot another deer at around 450 yards this season so far and nailed him square on the middle of the back and broke his spine and destroyed most the backstraps. As long as you're careful with the shot you wont ruin too much meat because these bullets will expand fast and hold their weight.

Go with the accurate bullet and let the head hold it.
I personaly would rather shoot an accurate bullet into the vidals than put a not so accurate bullet thru a not so vidal spot, but 300 yrds and in any decent bullet will probably
do the job just fine into the heart and lung area.
my 2 cents worth (maybe not even that much)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.