Short Range 30/30

Like the title says.

Short Range 30/30 leaver action...

Of course I'm thinking about the 87 to 140 yard stuff that suits the areas that I hunt...

A old used Winchester 30/30 with iron sights for the thick of things,,,.and a side mount 2 or 4 power optic to reach out there when it's needed... Ha...

Hopefully I find one that offers 2 or 3 minutes of Moose and Elk... Its been a long road in the rifle world from 1976 to today's shooting sports,,, of course I'll keep 2 of my main shooters to fill the void of target shooting and predator control,,, but I find that my hunting rigs are way over-board for my normal hunting needs...

This 30/30 idea with factory ammo in the 150 or 170gr category, not worth my time to reload since this ammo is dirt cheap up here...

Fairly good punch junk on the thick skins if close the gap like archery...

Winter project is finding the used 30/30 Winchester to fill the needs...

Cheers from the North

The .30-30 Win has always been a worthwhile cartridge to own and use on Deer, especially; Whitetail Deer in the thick wooded cover. I killed my biggest Whitetail buck in Winchester, Idaho with my Mod 94 Win .30 WCF made during WW II (1943) I think it was a factory night guard/security weapon on the West Coast, anyway, it was like mint when I bought it in 1991 a beautiful rifle and for a lever-rifle, it's quite accurate. I've pretty much always used (hand loads) Nosler 170gr RN Partition bullet for everything, once and a while I'll load some Speer plinker 100gr or 110hr RN just to chase small game and varmints for fun, all in all, the rifle and cartridge is a hoot. it's set's next to my 9422's in .22 S.L.LR and Mag, and my, top eject Mod 94 (1973) .44 Mag but I digress, can there really be a more fun rifle to walk through the woods with on a snowy day hunting Deer? I don't think so. PS: actually the original iron sights work well for my old eyes, it was never tapped for something like a Lyman Peep and I didn't want to poke holes in it, Winchester folks like them original.

The lever action reviews are rolling in,,, the simple Marlin 336c is holding its own,,, of course today's lever actions don't have the same quality like the old ones when they came out...

The Mosbuerg's look nice,,, but some of the reviews on the newer models have some jamming issues when jacking the next round into place,,, of course this could be that particular rifle...

Hopefully some of the lever actions come on sale this winter,,, the prices are right up there since hunting season is on the go up here,,, the costs will come down once the season raps up,,, at least I know what the prices are when I look for sales in the off season...

Good times soon to follow

The lever action reviews are rolling in,,, the simple Marlin 336c is holding its own,,, of course today's lever actions don't have the same quality like the old ones when they came out...

The Mosbuerg's look nice,,, but some of the reviews on the newer models have some jamming issues when jacking the next round into place,,, of course this could be that particular rifle...

Hopefully some of the lever actions come on sale this winter,,, the prices are right up there since hunting season is on the go up here,,, the costs will come down once the season raps up,,, at least I know what the prices are when I look for sales in the off season...

Good times soon to follow

I agree, the Marlin 336, as well as their 94, are tip-top lever rifles, then comes the Savage 99 by far one of the great ones, but I digress, I have a Marlin .444 (bottom photo) love the rifle and caliber, I know I'm a little off subject, but I just had to say it. :) When I was younger I had a Marlin 336 in the straight stocked "Texan" model, man'.., I should have never sold it, the things you learn as we get older. Two others I let go a couple of years back... Win M71 mint, and Win M88 also mint... live and learn, darn! when will I ever learn? :)
M71 Pre 64 Win .348 (3).jpg
M88 Pre 64 .308 Win (4).jpg
Marlin .444 -1.jpg

Nice looking irons 436, I seen a used M88 on 1 of the gun broker sights up here... I think it was chambered in 308 Winchester...

I seen that Piccadilly rail on line Carson,,, it looks pretty easy to put on,,, yes,,, I'm in the Red Deer area,,, the play ground I head into is the Nordegg area,,, a few oil pipe cut lines and longing trails,,, but the rest of it is super thick with rolly hills...

The Eastern Slopes of Alberta's Rocky Mountain Range... A vast expance of endless in all directions... No shortage of snow up top this year...

Cheers from the North

Nice looking irons 436, I seen a used M88 on 1 of the gun broker sights up here... I think it was chambered in 308 Winchester...

I seen that Piccadilly rail on line Carson,,, it looks pretty easy to put on,,, yes,,, I'm in the Red Deer area,,, the play ground I head into is the Nordegg area,,, a few oil pipe cut lines and longing trails,,, but the rest of it is super thick with rolly hills...

The Eastern Slopes of Alberta's Rocky Mountain Range... A vast expance of endless in all directions... No shortage of snow up top this year...

Cheers from the North

Well, you are North for sure, the wife and I took a run, truck/camper up to Atigun Pass Alaska about as far North as I've been. Are you about Grand Parie?
What I found about the M-88 was that it was very reliable and quite fast handing and accurate, very smooth operating, but... never take one apart they are a bear to get back together. They are well worth the money if you can find a good one.

Killed an elk with a model 71. Been using a Marlin cowboy in 357 and thats fun as hell. Killed a few deer and elk with it also.

Killed an elk with a model 71. Been using a Marlin cowboy in 357 and thats fun as hell. Killed a few deer and elk with it also.

Yep, those old Win M-71's are indeed Elk smashers for sure, sold my 71 and regret it every time I open my gun safe.

I still have my 50's vintage Model 94 30-30 from my younger days. I had have a Marlin 336 and Savage 99 in 300 Savage as well. All are excellent shooters, and carry well, but the my old Model 94 has a mystique that makes it my one if my all time favorite rifles. It got dusted off in the early 80's for deer and hogs in the thick when I lived down South for while.

I have put Williams peep sights on all my lever guns ( my first model 94 3030, my second model 94 Canadian centennial octagon barrel 30-30, my marlin 336 30-30 and marlin 357) through the years. They work well with my old eyes. Thanks for the memories

Williams sells a screw on peep sight for a Winchester 94 that would make the most of your vision, keeps things handy, doesn't get in the way of top ejection.

edit:Dang. Beat me to it!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts