short end of the ham story - by request.

royinidaho

There was/is this fella by the name of Dave King /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif who after years of haviing his wife have him cut the bone end off of the ham before she put it in the cooker for cooking, finally had to ask, "Why am I doing this?"

Wife's response was bacause my mother always did.

He then asked wife's mother, who gave the same response, "because my mother did."

Luckly, great grandmother was still available so Dave in his dedicated way asked her.

Her response, "so it would fit in the pan!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Same type story I've heard but in my version both ends are cut off the ham.

By family tradition the newest bride always cooks the Thankskgiving meal using old family recipies. On this particular Thanksgiving the new bride is doing the ham and the traditional method is that first step is to cut both ends off the ham. She asks why and is told that "that's grandma's recipe and it's always done that way!".

Later that day the young bride meets granny and asks about the ham recipe and the cutting of the ends. Grandma get's a little smile on her face as memories of her early married life return and she says "When grandpa and I were first married we didn't have much and the pans I had were too small for that first ham he bought. In order to cook the ham in the small cooking pan I first needed to cut off both ends."

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.