Short barreled rifles

Jhsjhs

Hi folks, I am thinking of building a short barreled hunting rifle to use with a 7" suppressor, possibly with an 18" barrel. I am hoping for something with a bit more kick then my current 6.5 creedmoor, but realize the short barrel can be limiting. Do any of you have an 18" hunting rifle? If so, what caliber, and can you tell me what you think of it? Thanks.

Hi folks, I am thinking of building a short barreled hunting rifle to use with a 7" suppressor, possibly with an 18" barrel. I am hoping for something with a bit more kick then my current 6.5 creedmoor, but realize the short barrel can be limiting. Do any of you have an 18" hunting rifle? If so, what caliber, and can you tell me what you think of it? Thanks.
Lots of happy clients running SS and SST with short barrels.
shermanwildcatcartridges.com

I'm getting 2850 with 140s and H1000 in a 16" 6.5 saum, I'll bet you'd easily hit 2950 with an 18" barrel. I love it for a timber/ 500 yard lightweight hunting set up
Also look at the 7wsm or SAUM

I've played with a LOT of short barrels between 16-18" in a bunch of different chamberings. What performance are you trying to get and do you have any action/bolt face limitations?

As a general rule, figure out the performance you'd be happy with from a 24-26" barrel, then go up one class in chambering for a short barrel. Expample:

You want to shoot a 140gr 6.5 mm bullet at 2800 fps. That lands you in the realm of a 6.5 Creedoor in a standard rifle barrel (for most factory loads). To get that in an 18" barrel, I'd look at something like a 6.5-06, 6.5x284 Win, or 6.5 PRC. If I wanted 308 Win rifle ballistic in a short barrel, I'd look at the 30-06 or possibly a 300 Win Mag or WSM.

If you can source some RL-26, and its a big "IF", the creed tends to bump up in class a bit. I've got an 18" CM that I shoot suppressed. My go to hunting loads are the 140 ballistic tip and/or accubond right at 2800 fps.

For comparison, in the same barrel my play load is a 143 eldx with H4350 at 2535 fps.

That said, a SST, SAUM, or PRC should work great at 18-20" I would think.

Im thinking about putting together a short barrel 6mm creed. Here's a pretty good wright up on it. I already have rifles in both 6.5cm and 6.5 prc. I thought shooting something in the 100 gr range might change things up a bit!

What RL26 loads do you use? I have never heard of that being used with 6.5 CM. Thank you.

Lapua brass SRP
CCI 450
RL-26 48.5 grains
140 BT/AB jumping 0.020"

Here is a thread on the subject, plenty of data... The creed and RL-26 seem to pair very well.

I run a 18" creed also. I shoot it suppressed 90% of the time. I shoot the 130 tipped game king "gamechanger". Gun is a hammer. I use h4350 and they run 2700fps. I'm thinking about doing a 16" for my kids to learn on.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.