short barreled 6br w/ 55 gr. bullets

goodgrouper

I am currently building a 6br on a salvaged 6 ppc barrel that was 22" long. After threading and rechambering, it will finish at 21". The reamer I am using is throated for 55 grain Blitzkings and I was wondering if anyone has done a br on this length barrel and how fast can I expect 55's to go, and what powder and load should I try first?<font color="blue"> </font>

I shoot a 6br encore barrel that I did some load developement for before it kinda got put to the side when my 243Ai showed up. Most of the loads I did were for the 75gr V-max but I did shoot some 55gr Ballistic tips.
Barrel is 18" 1-10 twist

55gr Balistic tips , CCI BR2 primers , Lapua brass
31g H-322 = 3492fps
32g H-322 = 3571fps
33g H-322 = 3688fps
34g H-322 = 3796fps , This load started to flatten primers

75gr V-max , CCI BR2 primers , Lapua brass
33g Varget = 3290 fps
34g Varget = 3371 fps,most accurate load
34.5 Varget = 3422 fps

J.Jones,
Thank you for your awesome post! That is exactly what I was hoping to hear! That 18" barrel spits those 55's out there incredibly fast. I can't wait for mine. What kind of accuracy were you getting with them?

Accuracy with the 75gr V-amx was better than the 55gr BT's but the BT's shot right at the .5" to .75" mark while the 75's shot around .3" or so. I believe that this is due to the chamber being throated for for the 75's and the 55's being seated a bit further off the lands.
Like I said make sure that you start below my listed loads as they are probably above the listed max and the ending load for both bullets was warm.
What does you rig consist of , action barrel and such and what are you gonna be shooting with it?

My rig is a left-handed Remington 700 blueprinted action that has been tefloned gray and a Lilja 6 groove 14" twist barrel. It will finish at 21" and muzzle diameter is .989". The stock is a glassed H.S. precision varminter, and the trigger is an 8 oz. Rifle Basix. The scope is a Leupold VX-III 6.5-20 Long range target. This rig will mainly be used for 400 to 800 yard rockchucks, but if it shoots well enough at 100 I might use it for NBRSA light gun class. I would really like to add a 6br to the equipment list of the matches just to change things up if you know what I mean!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.