Short barreled 6.5 saum/prc

Westernhuntr

I'm thinking about turning my 6.5 saum into a shorty here soon.
I'm wanting to go 16" and run a suppressor, it's pretty much become my timber to mid range deer and elk rifle.
Has anyone taken a magnum 6.5 down that short?
If I could squeeze about 2900 out of a 142 ABLR it'd be a heck of a dual purpose rifle

Did you go through with this build? I'm thinking the same idea but my smith recommended 20" as the shortest for a 6.5 PRC or SAUM. Curious what velocities folks are getting in the real world with shorter barrels like that

Did you go through with this build? I'm thinking the same idea but my smith recommended 20" as the shortest for a 6.5 PRC or SAUM. Curious what velocities folks are getting in the real world with shorter barrels like that
Can't speak to the saum but the 6.5 SS with the same capacity will run up to 3000' with a 156, if that helps

I went with 18" on a tikka platform haven't shot it yet been sick with COVID-19 for the last three weeks and still fighting it, but my plans are to go with 135 Berger Classic Hunter. Shooting suppressed
CC789111-5B41-4A3A-BCA2-3BAE76F076E1.jpeg

I just built a 16.5" 6.5 saum
I had started load development and unfortunately my chamber was out of spec (the reamer was undersized at the neck) and its getting fixed at the moment.
I put a few loads on paper and its looking really good, 2850 fps with 140s over H1000.
I have no doubt that something like RL 26 would send a 140 around 2950 +

Very cool! 6.5 SAUM, SS or PRC? I'd be interested to hear your velocity data. Proof barrel?
Can't speak to the saum but the 6.5 SS with the same capacity will run up to 3000' with a 156, if that helps
I'd be really interested in hearing more about the 6.5SS in a 20". My barrwl is still enough route so switching to 6.5SS from 6.5PRC is doable. I want to shoot the 156 EOL as my primary bullet. Rich have you ever had your reamers rented to Pierce ? They're making me a titanium action cut to accept a wyatt's box at 2.990. and chambering a 20" proof on it? You think 2900+ Would be possible at that length? I hunt between sea level and 6000 feet max in AK and this will be my sheep/caribou gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.