Short barreled 257 Wby

I'm looking to rebarrel my .257 Weatherby and was wondering if there's a good reason, other than loss of velocity, why a 22" barrel would be a bad idea. I figure that the gun has velocity to spare, and it's just going to be a hunting rig so compact size would be more beneficial. Additionally, I'm planning to get a very slim barrel profile, so I figured that a bit shorter would result in a little stiffer barrel, thereby increasing accuracy. Any thoughts?
I have a .257 WBY with 22" with a 1:7" twist specifically built to propel the heavies 131s, 133s/135s, and 145s. It is configured for a muzzle brake and suppressor.

.257 WBTY Savage 110 LA scoped  1 of 7.jpg

1664365330361.png

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/my-budget-257-wbty-build.276854/
Muzzle Blast will make it unfun to shoot without a can
I have an MBM on mine and no issues with the muzzle blast.

Boys I gotta say since I quit poaching outa my pickup as a kid, Ive never had the need for a short barreled rifle, with that said I do own a Christensen 223 with a 16" barrel that lives in my Polaris. I use it for varmints, hogs and head shots on does. But my 257 WM sports a Howard Dietz 26 in tube on it, no telling how many deer that little sweetheart has taken...
Right tool for the job...

Boys I gotta say since I quit poaching outa my pickup as a kid, Ive never had the need for a short barreled rifle, with that said I do own a Christensen 223 with a 16" barrel that lives in my Polaris. I use it for varmints, hogs and head shots on does. But my 257 WM sports a Howard Dietz 26 in tube on it, no telling how many deer that little sweetheart has taken...
I would think real hard about that you will loose close too 200 fps .The only good trade off is a little more maneuverability. I'm sure it will still get the job done , barrels are expendables nothing ventured nothing gained
Personally I like long barrels, make it 23 in and you still are pretty short but not totally killing your vel , if you don't like 23 you can always cut it too 22 ,plus it gives you a little leadway in case you ever set it back for throat erosion and you still can be 22 in . I bet that 23 will handle and be just as stiff as the 22

I have to agree with most others, in that you are talking about turning one of the flatest shooting rifles ever into a "lesser magnum" with 25-06 performance that burns an immense load of powder. Why do this when you could opt for a cartridge optimized for that length barrel that would be much cheaper to shoot?

Then there is the issue of muzzle blast. Even in a hunting situation you would need to wear sound-deadening ear muffs to keep from blowing out your ears.

Let me offer a solution, we could talk about swapping my .25-06 for your .257 Weatherby.

I have a .257 WBY with 22" with a 1:7" twist specifically built to propel the heavies 131s, 133s/135s, and 145s. It is configured for a muzzle brake and suppressor.

View attachment 397224
View attachment 397226

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/my-budget-257-wbty-build.276854/

I have an MBM on mine and no issues with the muzzle blast.
So what exactly is the point of a 22 inch barrel when you hang 10 inches of suppressor off of it. Is 36 inches so much more unwieldy than 32 inches?

So what exactly is the point of a 22 inch barrel when you hang 10 inches of suppressor off of it. Are 36 inches so much more unwieldy than 32 inches?
It's "MY" personal preference for my intended purpose. It gives me the flexibility to use an MB or suppressor. The suppressor is NOT dedicated to the .257 WBY with 22" but rather with multiple rifles/chambering - 27" .30 LARA, 24" .300 WM/WSM, 30" .270 AI, 26" .264 WM, and 24" 6.5 CM. So the point is suppressing multiple rifles in various chamberings.

OP. You have been given a bunch of great advice though some is at opposite ends of the spectrum. All the points made are completely valid. It is now up to you to weigh the various pros and cons and decide. There is no conclusive right answer, just preferences based on experience. Let us know what you decide and more importantly how it works out.

Ima really be annoying and say split the difference at 24". In the bush the Difference between 24 and 26 is huge for some reason. More than perceived difference between 22 and 24. Wby chambers their 257 in 24 inch barreled vanguards and they do surprisingly well for full velocity potential. I've never been annoyed by any barrel 24 or under. A 26-28 inch pipe in the trees is annoying.

Ima really be annoying and say split the difference at 24". In the bush the Difference between 24 and 26 is huge for some reason. More than perceived difference between 22 and 24. Wby chambers their 257 in 24 inch barreled vanguards and they do surprisingly well for full velocity potential. I've never been annoyed by any barrel 24 or under. A 26-28 inch pipe in the trees is annoying.
It's "MY" personal preference for my intended purpose. It gives me the flexibility to use an MB or suppressor. The suppressor is NOT dedicated to the .257 WBY with 22" but rather with multiple rifles/chambering - 27" .30 LARA, 24" .300 WM/WSM, 30" .270 AI, 26" .264 WM, and 24" 6.5 CM. So the point is suppressing multiple rifles in various chamberings.
OP, I am looking at doing the same, 22" 1:7.5 suppressed. What velocity are you getting with the 131's? Thank you!

Well, I decided to stick with a 24" barrel. The main reason I'm getting a new barrel is because it currently has a 1:12 twist and I want to go to longer/heavier bullets for hunting. So I ordered up a smaller profile 1:8 twist. Don't plan on shooting anything as big as 130's, but I should be fine up to hammer 121's.

Well, I decided to stick with a 24" barrel. The main reason I'm getting a new barrel is because it currently has a 1:12 twist and I want to go to longer/heavier bullets for hunting. So I ordered up a smaller profile 1:8 twist. Don't plan on shooting anything as big as 130's, but I should be fine up to hammer 121's.
My bad, I directed my question to you1/4-bore, when it should have gone to Feenix. My apologies. Hey Feenix, What velocity are you getting with the 131's with your suppressor? TIA.

I see you already decided but I'll tell you my story. I used to have to drive a long ways on snowmobile to hunt moose in winter so right before one trip I cut my 30-06 down to 18 in. Worked great and I still screw that short barrel on for that type of hunting.
I honestly never noticed muzzle blast or sound change. For me and type of travel it is perfect!