Short barrel shank?

wilkup

How short would be considered too short to cut a barrel shank down? I'm guessing it depends on what chamber is being reamed - let's say SAUM/WSM.
I'm trying to shed weight wherever possible, and a shorter shank would significantly lighten my barrel.

My personal preference in shank length is to be at least the case body long, so the cartridge body is well supported and I start the transition to barrel contour at the body shoulder length. This also includes the barrel Thread Tenon inside the action. So if you have a cartridge that has a body length of 2'', that will be the minimum total shank used ( This is from the breach end of the barrel to the transition to the barrel contour before threading and chambering begins)

This is just a rule of thumb and is not written in stone.

J E CUSTOM

My personal preference in shank length is to be at least the case body long, so the cartridge body is well supported and I start the transition to barrel contour at the body shoulder length. This also includes the barrel Thread Tenon inside the action. So if you have a cartridge that has a body length of 2'', that will be the minimum total shank used ( This is from the breach end of the barrel to the transition to the barrel contour before threading and chambering begins)

This is just a rule of thumb and is not written in stone.

J E CUSTOM
Sounds like sound advice, sir. Thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts