short barrel for long ranges

leadchucker62

good day all:
this is my 1st post over here so bear with me.
i have a remington model 660 in .243 win.
it has a 20" heavy for caliber barrel and was wondering what kind of range/accuracy i can expect from this rifle.
will it be comparable to the m77 ruger(tang safety) that i traded for it.
the ruger was a shooter but just didnt look right in my safe with all the remingtons,and i really like the look and feel of the remington over the ruger.

any input greatly appreciated

thanks Z

Just let me take that off your hands and you will not have to worry yourself anymore. Don't want you to lose any more sleep.

I have an 18" .308 Win. that is shooting MOA or less to 700yrds right now. If I play with the loads a little more, I might be able to tighten up some. Your 20" in 243 with good hand loads will get you all the accuracy you need. You may have to do some trigger work and stock prep. Make sure the barrel is free floated and the trigger is light and crisp.

Tank

I use a 20'' remington custom in 308 and i get 2650 fps all day and 1/2inch groups at 100m (when i do my bit!) don't worry about barrel length just go and shoot it and you'll find how far she groups to ? you don't need the last 45fps to kill something you just need to hit the spot?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.