Short barrel cartridge help!

I built a 18 inch 7mm SAUM with a titanium suppressor, best gun I ever had running 162 grain bullets and RL26 using a magnum primer for the short barrel and a titanium suppressor. Keep in mind that you will NOT like shooting it without a suppressor.....they are loud!!lol
What velocities are you getting?

With RL26 was pushing around 2900 with the 162. Norma brass. My 22 inch barrel it was another 100fps faster.

I have a banish 30. On my 24" 7mm blaser mag improved, I gained 45-50fps. On my 24" 6mm cm I gained 25-30fps

I have got to ask this. IF you are shooting a supersonic round why are you using a suppressor? Hearing protection I sort of understand but as for the rest I don't get it.

I hunt subsonic and use a suppressor so understand I'm not opposed to suppression while hunting.

Looking for some learning here.
Hearing protection for you and your spotter is the main reason.

Got my 16.5" 6.5 saum in the mail today! Here's a comparison next to my 26" (+ brake) 300 Norma. Can't wait to shoot this bad lil b1tch unfortunately gotta wait to start load development until next weekend (waiting on scope and dies) already lovin how short and handy it feels. Fingers crossed it throws up good numbers and shoots straight

Attachments

• 06316D10-7A16-4379-902B-9C107E6D94AA.jpeg
    06316D10-7A16-4379-902B-9C107E6D94AA.jpeg
    374.3 KB · Views: 83
I have a 22" and 18" 6.5 PRC. Love my 18 at this time.

That rifle running a 156 at 800 is still showing: 2000+ fps and 1400+ ft lbs. Heck a 135 is 2100+/1300+. I like the 135 in the short barrel personally.

This is my go to rifle for everything at this point. I have a 6" suppressor on order and it will replace my 7". That'll be a 24" barrel combo when all said and done. With a folding chassis this thing can be tucked in my back pack for low profile hiking in thicker woods.
Late to the party, but are you running a short action? If so, have you had to seat those 156's deeper than optimal to make them feed?

Late to the party, but are you running a short action? If so, have you had to seat those 156's deeper than optimal to make them feed?
I am running a big horn short action with a 2.960 COAL mdt mag. Running a 156 at 2.950 coal (.077 off the lands) the 55.5 grains of RL26 is not compressed and I get 2915 in a 22" and 2815 in a 18". I am about .3 grains below pressure signs, Both run low sd and excellent accuracy. I prefer a 135A Tip for what I do but everything I put in the PRC shoots very very well.

I am running a big horn short action with a 2.960 COAL mdt mag. Running a 156 at 2.950 coal (.077 off the lands) the 55.5 grains of RL26 is not compressed and I get 2915 in a 22" and 2815 in a 18". I am about .3 grains below pressure signs, Both run low sd and excellent accuracy. I prefer a 135A Tip for what I do but everything I put in the PRC shoots very very well.
Thanks for the response. Did you have to get a smith to mod the action to accommodate the 2.960 COAL mag or you just throw it in a typical short action and it was fine?

Thanks for the response. Did you have to get a smith to mod the action to accommodate the 2.960 COAL mag or you just throw it in a typical short action and it was fine?
Action is stock. I run a mdt 308 mag with no binder plate. Holds 4 rounds and feeds well.

My experience with short vs long barrels use the heavy bullets they loose a lot less velocity than light bullets. And use the same powder and charge weight that got you the highest velocity in your long barrel...will most likely give you the highest velocity in your short barrel. For the that distance I'd go big and heavy high BC ... 300 PRC 300 RUM, big Weatherby case, or 338 Lapua. I just used stand cartridges the fairly new 7mm Rem mag and 338 mag ... I live out west, spent many years in the mountains and deserts so city folks seem a bit odd.
I always packed a 16" barreled 30-30 Winchester with hand loaded 170 gr bullets ... for shootin heads off grouse, deer, elk, bears, lions, and claim jumpers...mostly killed elk at 100 yds or less. I Lived in log cabin in the Desolation unit in the Blue mountains in the early 70s herds of elk in meadows outside the cabin. My old neighbor killed 19 elk with an old octagon barreled open sighted 30-30 Winchester....his heavy rifle. His light rifle was a 25-20 Winchester lever. Always carry a sharp big *** fixed blade Buck knife ...no tiny delicate city folders. The big knife is a tool same as the rifle.
A friend who works at a rifle company and trophy hunts drew an Arizona elk tag, built a new rifle the 28 Nosler, and killed a big bull at a lasered 78 whole yards that just walked up a draw. Could've done the same wi
th a 30-30 or even a 44-40.
People and choices...do whatever floats your boat, ..archery, blackpowder, or maybe something new in the smokless arena.

I've got a 16" 6.5 saum and it's one of my handier rifles, especially for hunting in a blind. I run a scenar 123 at 3050 and it smokes stuff. Last year I ran out and went to 130 Berger vldh right at 3k. They don't leave near the exit but seem just as deadly.

I am in the process of building a 30 Nosler 22" barrel for a Nilgai hunt I have scheduled next February. I plan to shoot the 190 scenars in it. I've got a little bedding clean up left to do and it'll be time to start load development. Anymore 22" is about as long of a barrel as I want.

I like speed and will lighten bullet weight to be in the 3k range, I'm off the opinion that is where magic happens ;)

For what you're wanting and asking, I'd pick a short 7mm but a 300wsm is bad medicine too. Good luck!

Recent Posts