Short barrel 6.5 prc

I agree, his numbers are way too low. The PRC numbers should be closer to my numbers. Maybe not quite there, but close. And those numbers work really well on deer-sized game in a light, short, handy pack rifle.

I have shot a "few" 6.5PRCs, and they are normally much faster than those numbers provided. And I don't even run RL26 in them.
Yes sir. I have a couple and they do fine. Sherman does usually appear to be a bit faster, 50 fps depending on the loaders definition of hot. My numbers in a 22" are very close to yours and I figure we have a similar safe approach to loading not wanting to smoke brass in a few reloads.

I'm hesitant to add any more testing information to this thread as my data seemed to cause heart burn with some folks.

For those folks, in pressure work up, the 140 weight bullets I ran at the full 26" length started seeing pressure signs such as a stiff bolt lift at approximately 3125 fps. As stated, I am not providing reloading data, just a simple barrel length comparison. I saw no value in the test by using velocities that exceed factory ammunition.

3125 fps - 2961 fps = 164 fps If that delta is added to the table, one could infer a high end net velocity.

I'm hesitant to add any more testing information to this thread as my data seemed to cause heart burn with some folks.

For those folks, in pressure work up, the 140 weight bullets I ran at the full 26" length started seeing pressure signs such as a stiff bolt lift at approximately 3125 fps. As stated, I am not providing reloading data, just a simple barrel length comparison. I saw no value in the test by using velocities that exceed factory ammunition.

3125 fps - 2961 fps = 164 fps If that delta is added to the table, one could infer a high end net velocity.
Don't worry about it. I think most are seeing the data correctly

Exactly. There is know reason I can think of to build/buy a rifle in 6.5 creedmoor. These cartridges and others smoke the creedmoor.
Well, it has it's place for sure. I have a couple and they do fine. My neighbor has taken around 11 elk with the creed from 150-500 yards with 1 shot kills. It would not be my first choice but neither is a 260, 7-08, 308 etc. I have a PRS comp rifle in a creed and a saddle rifle I built. I also built a 6mm creed and spoke with Ernie at length to set it up. For me the premise was a decent bc bullet with lower recoil and longer barrel life. They check a lot of boxes and work quite well in a light weight short barrel set up. I know my wife enjoys it more than the 6.5-284's and PRC so there is that little bit of motivation too. : )

Just to add on, 6.5 creed makes a sweet kids/ladies cartridge for a lightweight hunting rifle. My mom has one she deer hunts with and shoots prairie dogs with. Because of its barrel life advantage on a 6.5 PRC she can shoot it a bunch more. My 6.5 creed is used as a target gun/prairie dog gun. So it has its place, I love the 6 creed it's one of my overall favorites right now.

Are these test numbers without or with a can. I'm wondering if you recover any of the velocity on say a 20" barrel when you add a 7"can ??

Are these test numbers without or with a can. I'm wondering if you recover any of the velocity on say a 20" barrel when you add a 7"can ??
I have 24" proof barrels on a 6cm and 7 blaser. My 9" banish adds 35 fps and 50 fps

I have a 18" prc barrel on a Tikka action love it shooting Berger's 135 Classic Hunters 2947ft. shooting suppressed. Took my bull elk this year with it bull turned and tumbled.
I'm building a 23" 300 ultra mag right now.

I posted this to a similar thread over on SH...

SkyScrapin @ SnipersHide

For the 140+ grain projectiles, RL26, 4831sc.
For the 123-130 grain projectiles, probably RL16, Varget, H4350.

ideally the 18" barrel would push a 127-130 grained 2950 fps.

I know it's an old thread, but with hunting season upon us, I had been looking for data of my own and stumbled on this. My load for 150 SMKs and 145 Match Burners in the 26" Proof barrel wasn't going to be ideal in my new 18" carbon fiber hunting barrel, so I figured I'd work up something new with 130 TGKs.
Tried RL26 and was in the low to mid 2900s but accuracy and spreads weren't all that great. Less than 1 MOA but nothing to write home about with extreme spreads of 35-40 fps for hunting doesn't work for me.

Decided to test RL16 based on @SkyScrapin [over at SH] post up toward the top. (Like a dumb ***...I started WAY TO HOT)
I think with a 130gr bullet, starting at around 49gr of RL16 and working up is probably pretty safe. I'm likely running a little warmer than necessary, but this is where the numbers looked the best and with a hunting set up...It'll probably never be shot in temps warmer than 50-60.
The last volly...group 4 was adjusted .1 mil up and I think I'm just gonna gas up 20 or so, and head out for a hunt.
I have RL17 on the shelf that might be a little better suited for this combo...and i have ready RL23 might be a nice option as well.

18" 6.5 PRC - RL16 - 130gr TGKGroup sizeVelocity
Group 1.85 MOA2896 fps
Group 2.58 MOA2922 fps
Group 3.31 MOA2946 fps
Group 4.29 MOA2962 fps
20231107_105152.jpg

shared_image_661025719381899 copy.jpg