Short barrel 280 Ackley

AKdan

Hey guys,

I bought a lightweight 280 AI and am going to send it off to be threaded for a suppressor. Before I do I was thinking about trimming it down a little from 24" to make it a little handier and to have less deflection with the suppressor. I am not concerned with a little velocity loss but wondering what you guys think would be the best length. I was debating 21"-22".

Thoughts?

Thanks
Dan

Last edited:
Just built one with a 22" barrel myself with the plan of using suppressed, still waiting on the can.

Balances nice. I'm getting 2925-2950 with the 162 ELDx and RL-26.

Thanks for the reply. That is exactly what I was looking for. I plan to shoot the 162 eld-x. I was hoping to get 2900 FPS.

Can you tell me what a light weight jacket is? Auto correct or a brand name or smith?
My .280 AI just came yesterday!! We ended up at 21.5 and it seems really good balance wise. #4 Lilja fluted on a m70 pre-64. It isn't any fly weight but I have a few filling that nitch already.

Ha ha sorry, it was an autocorrect, I should proofread a little better. I think I am going to give 22" a try. Going to send the rifle off in the next day or two.

I had one that originally had a 27'' lilia on it. Thought it was way too long for a hunting rig, took it down to 19". Load was cci br2, 60.5gr of retumbo. Shooting the 162 eld-x at 2950 with the 27" then dropped to 2750 by taking 8" off the barrel.

Its a few years later but how are the results? I recently had a 280AI built with a 22" 1-10 twist barrel, went short because I wanted to run it suppressed also.