Short barrel 1000 yard elk cartridge

I know you're wanting a 30 cal. magnum minimum (I'm assuming) however, I'm wondering if the new Sig fury cartridge would fit your build. Isn't it built with a short barrel. Just a thought.
Im awaiting your final build; which BTW I this is doable given the new bullets, powder and barrel twist. You might wanna look at a .375H&H too as it's more recoil friendly. Just another thought.
good luck with your build.

If you're already thinking 338 norma and I love mine btw. Why not go with a 375 ruger? The cartridge was designed for use in shorter barrels comparatively speaking.

I like guns and need another one like I need a hole in the head but I have this extra XLR element magnesium chassis and I'm thinking about building a short barreled gun.

I know this has been discussed but I'll ask anyway.

I understand that short barrels castrate big cartridges and I don't care. I don't care about muzzle flash or unburned powder or efficiency etc.

if you think an 18" 338 Lapua is completely ridiculous and should never be done theplease don't respond to this thread (I felt this way a year ago)

now to the question: I want to build a strong magnum long action gun with a short 18"...or maybe 20" barrel. WHAT IS THE BEST CARTRIDGE FOR KILLING ELK to 1000 yards.

elk are tough critters and I don't subscribe to the 7mmRM being sufficient to kill elk with at 1000 with any barrel length (and yes I know it's been done effectively thousands of times)...but I'm looking for something that hits harder than that.

my initial thought is to just do a 338 Lapua (I'm already setup to load that one)...then I started thinking well in that case the 338 Norma is probably a better choice...then my brain went to the 300 Norma with 230 or 245's....

is a 300 Norma not actually faster than a 300 WM if you cut the barrel down that much????

I know we are sacrificing some velocity with a short barrel which is why I went to heavier bullets automatically...but maybe I'm wrong there

also this is not going to be an ELR gun...it's only for 1000 and less so I don't care if we take an entry level ELR cartridge and make it not good enough for ELR.

28 Nosler-375 CT...go
20" 300 RUM with 230's MV is 2825 fps
18" 338 AX (Lapua Improved) 300 grain Bullets is just under 2700 fps.
18" 7mm Dakota with 175 grain ELDX is 2900 fps.

I'm interested in what everybody thinks here too. I have been pondering the same build concept as my next project. For what it's worth here's where I'm headed; looking at going 338 Lapua AI long throated, carbon wrap barrel in the 20-24" range, ultralight build with a giant brake. Wanting something with so much horsepower that it could never be considered underpowered but still as light as any mountain gun.

Dude I like it!
Do you plan on running a can?
I recently built a 16" 6.5 saum, everyone said it was stupid to put 60+ grains of powder though a short barrel and that I should just build a creed.
Well I'm getting 3000 fps with 142s, and I'm at 20" with the suppressor. Been smacking a 12" plate at 800 with ease

Its all about the powder when going short.
Id personally go with an 8 twist 30 nosler and shoot the 205 Badlands BD2 or a 215 Berger

Heres a few pics of my shorty saum, and a 205 loaded in a 30 nos case
View attachment 248774
View attachment 248775
What powder you running in your 16" saum

I like guns and need another one like I need a hole in the head but I have this extra XLR element magnesium chassis and I'm thinking about building a short barreled gun.

I know this has been discussed but I'll ask anyway.

I understand that short barrels castrate big cartridges and I don't care. I don't care about muzzle flash or unburned powder or efficiency etc.

if you think an 18" 338 Lapua is completely ridiculous and should never be done theplease don't respond to this thread (I felt this way a year ago)

now to the question: I want to build a strong magnum long action gun with a short 18"...or maybe 20" barrel. WHAT IS THE BEST CARTRIDGE FOR KILLING ELK to 1000 yards.

elk are tough critters and I don't subscribe to the 7mmRM being sufficient to kill elk with at 1000 with any barrel length (and yes I know it's been done effectively thousands of times)...but I'm looking for something that hits harder than that.

my initial thought is to just do a 338 Lapua (I'm already setup to load that one)...then I started thinking well in that case the 338 Norma is probably a better choice...then my brain went to the 300 Norma with 230 or 245's....

is a 300 Norma not actually faster than a 300 WM if you cut the barrel down that much????

I know we are sacrificing some velocity with a short barrel which is why I went to heavier bullets automatically...but maybe I'm wrong there

also this is not going to be an ELR gun...it's only for 1000 and less so I don't care if we take an entry level ELR cartridge and make it not good enough for ELR.

28 Nosler-375 CT...go

I've had good results in my .338L with 280 ELD's in a 22" barrel with RL-26, I'd imagine running a little hotter powder like 22 or H1000 would produce the same results in a 20" barrel, certainly enough to stop elk ~1,000 yards at elevation in NM or Wyoming.

All good info.

and ya, tell me more about those badlands. I've shot some once in my 6.5 prc but ended up using the cutting edge lazers cause they shot pretty amazing. Will I be able to load those to function in a magazine? Last time I loaded 250g bergers in a 338 Lapua it was too long for CIP mags.

A 300 RUM or a 338 RUM if you want stopping power. If I remember correctly does nosler make 33 nosler if you want something different or 325 WSM. But brass might get tricky.
Good luck with your build.
Jason
338 RUM 😎

Shooting targets at 1000 yards plus is one thing killing Elk at 1000 yards is another a lot can happen at that range cross winds at different directions up drafts down drafts any movement by your target and the list goes on. Is it really worth risking a inhuman kill just to say you did it with the bare minimum? I know this is long range hunting but personally it think it's harder to get within 2-250 yards to make a clean kill but that's just my opinion

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.