SHORT ACTIONS ARE STUPID!!

Any particular action length isn't "stupid", but we as consumers are indeed "stupid". We are asking the firearms and ammunition manufacturers to do things that require thinking outside the box. Today everyone wants long sleek heavy for caliber bullets and 3000+fps velocity out of 50 year old cartridges, with a 20" barrel, built on a 50 to 110 year old action length that were never meant to give that performance. Thinking outside the box gave as short and fat cartridges for short action rifles and blown out fat cartridges for standard actions rifles. Don't hate the action length if you're trying to shove modern bullets into some 30-50 year old cartridge and then complain about running out of action or magazine length, that would be "stupid".

They make sense to me. I dont need a "regular" action for the calibers I shoot the most. 6br, grendel, IHMSA, ETC. The problem you'll run into on your budget gun is the reamer. You'll have to go custom throated because reamers are built on standard SAAMI specs that run parallel to the way a cartridge was initially designed. The WSMs are an example. The bullet takes up a lot of powder space. As soon as you put it in a longer action and seat the bullet way out you run out of throat in a spec chamber. Try it on the cartridge you're building on your project. Seat one way out, you'll likely jam into the rifling long before you can close the bolt. Me? I'd like to see all kinds of actions, minis, standards, middles, longs, magnums etc. More projects to try out for me.

Things I used to hate that I really like now:
Savage rifles
Chocolate Ice cream
A blue vehicle
Turnip greens
Butter beans
Certain people
The list goes on and on

The point of the post is that the less hate you have for anything in particular that you can think of, the more potential to have more peace & not to miss out on something that you could have really enjoyed. I learned the hard way many times.
Uh...all but the turnip greens...or broccoli...or cauliflower

They make sense to me. I dont need a "regular" action for the calibers I shoot the most. 6br, grendel, IHMSA, ETC. The problem you'll run into on your budget gun is the reamer. You'll have to go custom throated because reamers are built on standard SAAMI specs that run parallel to the way a cartridge was initially designed. The WSMs are an example. The bullet takes up a lot of powder space. As soon as you put it in a longer action and seat the bullet way out you run out of throat in a spec chamber. Try it on the cartridge you're building on your project. Seat one way out, you'll likely jam into the rifling long before you can close the bolt. Me? I'd like to see all kinds of actions, minis, standards, middles, longs, magnums etc. More projects to try out for me.
I am reading your comments while sizing 223 to 7 mm tcu

Witnessing this trend towards Short Actions when we already have a Standard Action makes absolutely no sense. Why would I deliberately limit the amount of powder room or bullet length in my Rifle. Instead I only care what the minimum case length that will reliably feed in my Standard Action. Recently I have decided to attempt a long Action WSM budget Rifle so that I can let the Bullet hang way out of the case. Short Actions just can't do that. Instead Manufacturers should alter dimensions of "Short Actions" to the length required for 6.5x55 or 7mm Mauser. We've also witnessed these intentional Castration in AR15 & AR10 Military Rifles where short OAL diminishes the capability of the Rifles. All this over a few ounces that can cost 500 Yards.
Yahoo!

My Rem 40 X BR is a short action, single shot Bench Rest Gun, and it seems fine for what I'm doing with it. My Heavy Barrel Savage 110 in .308 seems to be a standard length, which I also shoot sing shot. (Score Shooting at Bench rest matches ) The standard action seems just fine shooting the .308 target loads. Saving two or three ounces is not a consideration in either of these rifles. The lightest sporting rifle I own is my Weatherby Mark V Ultralight in .270 Win. It is completely possible to make a super light rifle ( 5 3/4 Pounds ) capable of accurately shooting a standard length round, with a full 24 inch barrel / ( 270 - 30-06 ). I wonder if the Short Action was just a simple way to trim some weight . Make the rifle a bit lighter by using a short action, and a thinner , shorter barrel. Perhaps that was the idea?? We used to sell a lot of ADL's in 243 , which had a short action; no bottom metal ; and a 22 inch barrel. I bet it was 10 ounces lighter that the BDL . It also cost less, because there was no expensive machining done. So, in summary , I don't think short actions are stupid, maybe just not as relevant as they once were. IMHO

Well after owning a few long action rifles and one short action 270 wsm sako 85 .i would never go back to a long action rifle.
Incredible accuracy .
Keyholeing at 200metres.
Short actions have phenomenal strenth with zero flex.
Im not allowed to give you my powder weight charge but i get 3330 fps with a 145grain ELDX. Or 3280fps with 150 grain bst..
Short actions will always be my preference.
Im pole axeing game at 700 plus metres.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.