SHORT ACTIONS ARE STUPID!!

Well don't know if it's stupid.
They have there place.
All this new stuff is just revived old stuff if you read some of the old gun books.
Just like the automatic transmission from the T Ford that drives today's Corvettes.
I had a 98 Mauser rebarreled to 350 RM .This brought this short cartridge to it own.
With the bullet base flush with the neck it gained more volume and power,putting in the tumper class😁

The OPs rant reminded me of my first grandson having to ride 900 miles in his car seat to come see Grandpa and Grandma.
When the kids arrived I unbuckled him and pulled him out of his car seat, setting him on the ground.
He promptly turned to his left and kicked the right rear tire while exclaiming "STUPID CAR!" He was four years old and that was the best dressing down he could give. What a hoot!

Anyway, OP should consider the 6 lug Weatherby action.
My old .243 is on the same length action as the .338-06 version WBY used to sell. Hope this helps.😀

I have a few Tikkas the smaller calibres can sometimes use the longer magazine.
The Bolt stop can be changed where you might have say a .260 , more commonly a .308 loaded out long and a .30-06 mag to accommodate.
I wanted a lightweight rifle years ago but did not have the budget. I decided at the time the .7mm-08 would be great for an all round hunting rifle in Australia.
A short action Remington model 7 would have been my choice.
In that case for a short lightweight hunting rifle I think it suits. For the hunting ammo of the time it would have been suitable.
My opinion,
Saying they are "Stupid" is stupid if they are fit for purpose.
Times have changed, high BC projectiles, longer hunting projectiles and cartridges like 7mm SAUM, 6.5cm and stuff I'm not familiar with benefit from long actions. Some require it others may just be restricted by short action builds.
Horses for courses.
My 7-mm08 Remington Model 7 is a great rifle for hunting any thing in Texas!

I read this post yesterday and I cannot believe so many people responded to this I am not considering this a response to the original post but a comment on how board people must be including me I guess

Short actions ARE stupid. Can't rebarreled them to a long action cartridge, weight savings is zip, the lighter weight on adds to recoil (seriously, you need to save weight on your rifle? Get to the gym), and the added recoil increases recovery time if a second shot is needed. Get a long action and be a man about it.

My 7-mm08 Remington Model 7 is a great rifle for hunting any thing in Texas!
I think it would be pretty handy all round.

My first and only 7mm-08 is. a Tikka CTR.
It was opportunistic and has worked out great from a vehicle (truck rifle) I carry it in a pinch and it confirmed my suspicion on the versatility of the 7mm-08.

Dang man, hope you feel better after that😉

I do see some of your point about mag restrictions. Some it just can't be done like the 65x284 or the 65 prc. They try to call them a sa but they're not..

I'm likely building on a short action and have seen the loaded rounds will work in a sa with a wyatts box. FWIW, it's a 6.5 SS which is just under 3 with a 156 berger loaded to the lands. Reduce .010 or more for a hunting load and you're well within the 3.1 internal capacity.

And why, because it's a custom rifle and we can build them how we want to without factory restrictions.
I've built 2 6.5 PRCs on XM actions and have the luxury of 3.2" restrictions. Most of my loads are 3.1+" with the 156 EOL.

So far, I have yet to see an action designed specifically for the .22 CB, the TCM cartridges, or the very fine .22 Fireball and its litter-mates. Granted that it may not be a great seller, as our eyes dim and our fingers begin to fail our bidding, but it would give the silly gunwriters something to chatter about besides "The '06 aging gracefully," The classic .32-40, or "Do we still need the .30-30?"

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.