SHORT ACTIONS ARE STUPID!!

Wild Monkey

Witnessing this trend towards Short Actions when we already have a Standard Action makes absolutely no sense. Why would I deliberately limit the amount of powder room or bullet length in my Rifle. Instead I only care what the minimum case length that will reliably feed in my Standard Action. Recently I have decided to attempt a long Action WSM budget Rifle so that I can let the Bullet hang way out of the case. Short Actions just can't do that. Instead Manufacturers should alter dimensions of "Short Actions" to the length required for 6.5x55 or 7mm Mauser. We've also witnessed these intentional Castration in AR15 & AR10 Military Rifles where short OAL diminishes the capability of the Rifles. All this over a few ounces that can cost 500 Yards.

Dang man, hope you feel better after that😉

I do see some of your point about mag restrictions. Some it just can't be done like the 65x284 or the 65 prc. They try to call them a sa but they're not..

I'm likely building on a short action and have seen the loaded rounds will work in a sa with a wyatts box. FWIW, it's a 6.5 SS which is just under 3 with a 156 berger loaded to the lands. Reduce .010 or more for a hunting load and you're well within the 3.1 internal capacity.

And why, because it's a custom rifle and we can build them how we want to without factory restrictions.

Physics is what makes the short stubby design, perhaps more efficient to some, with the ballistics of many short mags as the proof, and why it has a slightly different burn rate profile than standard cartridges. You do have a point about the limit of bullet size and throat engagement is short, without a doubt. I can overlook any flaws of these designs and love the performance of my 270,7,300 and 325wsms and of course my 308 as their comparable predecessor.

I would have to say that the elk and pronghhorn in my freezer, taken with WSMs, would agree with your thread title!

Modified the throw on my short action Tikka 260 to make it a "longer" action for my long reloads. Tikka allows for this.
I have a few Tikkas the smaller calibres can sometimes use the longer magazine.
The Bolt stop can be changed where you might have say a .260 , more commonly a .308 loaded out long and a .30-06 mag to accommodate.
I wanted a lightweight rifle years ago but did not have the budget. I decided at the time the .7mm-08 would be great for an all round hunting rifle in Australia.
A short action Remington model 7 would have been my choice.
In that case for a short lightweight hunting rifle I think it suits. For the hunting ammo of the time it would have been suitable.
My opinion,
Saying they are "Stupid" is stupid if they are fit for purpose.
Times have changed, high BC projectiles, longer hunting projectiles and cartridges like 7mm SAUM, 6.5cm and stuff I'm not familiar with benefit from long actions. Some require it others may just be restricted by short action builds.
Horses for courses.

Well for less weight, less overall rifle length, and build specific purposes. In reality 2900fps with a "case capacity" restricted short action say a WSM. Or 3000 FPS with same bullet and cartridge on a long action doesn't make a bit of difference whether you hit your target or not. Most of what we compare here doesn't amount to much real world difference's. It just all in fun

Gotta love the choices. Would be rather boring to have only one length action after having what we have now. Not sure anyone would need a long action for their 204 Ruger or 223 cartridge. I think the foundation for actions built for most cartridges is sound. Let's not fix what's been working for decades. Like what was said above...It's all in fun. Preference is different for everyone. I for one am glad we have options to allow preference to exist.

Long or short aside, I wish for magnum diameters, for larger barrel tenons. While I'm at it I'll ask for finer threading, barrel nut & and coned breech.
Some for greater chamber and breech support. I would like this even for smaller cartridges (like 223).

I built a 26wssm Imp with a magnum single shot action to ensure I my loads would leave behind all who had failed with wssms. It worked.
And with it, I noticed that while the cartridge is merchandised for short actions, it is not with heavy for 26cal bullets. I had to have the ports extended to eject loaded rounds. So I cannot imagine a wsm cartridge in a short action.

Side note: I do not use Remington actions. Never liked them.
So if 'long' or 'short' is purely based on Remington, then my input here may be worthless..

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.