Short action Magnum

**** people beet me to it but it would be the 7wsm. for long range and a 6.5wssm to to play with. it would be kinda pointless though other than just to have something kinda different. on the 6.5wssm

How well does the 7mm WSM actually fit into a remington short action with long, high BC bullets? If modification is required, how well does it work?

Can you start with any short action with say, a .308 bolt face, and open up the bolt face to take a 7mm WSM?

iv got a rem ti at the gunsmiths getting a work over.im sticking with the 7 saum chambering.im having a watts mag extender installed(3.060 compared to factory 2.850 ish)
the rem standard mags are a bit on the short side for high bc projectiles seated out and i would proberly use a long action and save all the fuss if it wasnt to be a mountain rifle.
opening up bolt face is simple enought but you can buy a sps in 270wsm,300wsm if your not planning on alot of action work.

I have the original in 6.5 rem mag . 1970, finished by 1974. hot 87g 3800fps coyote loads and great muley loads.
having trouble with powder capasity beyond 57g 4350 and short oal. 129g SST from hornady are great but no room from great flyers like berger 140g .640B.C.
need long action to get bullet out into neck and 60g will get it flying to tru potential. see reloadersnest.com. Woods 6.5 mag

300 WSM hands down.

11 twist barrel 24-26 inches

RL 17 powder and Barnes TTSX (168)

Mine is shooting less than .5 MOA with minimal load develpment and running 3351 fps with single digit ES and SD.

Just took 2 whitetail in MO, doe and decent 8 pt (456 yards) plus two coyotes.

BH

Ok here is my opinion.

7mm Rem SAUM

read about the 7mm's on 6mmbr.com it equils the 7mm WSM with less powder no other comparison if usind a 180gr vld the 30 cals don't compare in energy or wind drift at 1000 yards the 7mm retains the velocity and has the bc edge.

I use the 7mm Rem SAUM and it is awsome. any regular mag or short mag even ultramag will work in a wssm boltface.

With a wssm action you will be limited to single shot even with a 6.5wssm and the projectiles loaded out past the doghnut.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Is it possible to start with say, a .243 ADL 700 that is sitting in my local store at a low price, and open up the boltface to take a WSM or SAUM round?

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up picking the 7mm wsm. a couple days ago. I can't imagine I'll be dissapointed. In the future I'll post some pictures.

No problem at all we just converted a rem 600 Mohawk to 7mm Rem SAUM and it feeds and shoots well under moa with a take out factory Rem Stainless barrell and SSG Vaporiser muzzle break.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Is it possible to start with say, a .243 ADL 700 that is sitting in my local store at a low price, and open up the boltface to take a WSM or SAUM round?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.