Short action magnum recommendations

Delicatessen

I have a 260 short actiona and a 284 long action currently and am looking to add a switch barrel to the short action (has a barloc setup and a swapable bolt head). The 284 is very capable long range but the rifle is pushing 17lbs and a 28" barrel. I am ideally looking for something around 22" in a short action magnum that is better than the 284 for long range in a package around 10-12lbs (260 is under this). So far my front runners are the 7mm Sherman short or the 7mm saum. I don't mind a little brass work but in general want something somewhat more supported for brass and barrels. Any other suggestions or anyone with experience with the 180 hybrid or eldx/m in the saum or Sherman? I am thinking the saum might have case overall length issues from a magazine.

Can't help you much unfortunately. I'm in the process of collecting parts for a 6SST and a 7SST. You may want to go longer than 22" but I'm not sure. I'd call Rich and discuss it with him. I'm going 22" on the 6SST and 24" on the 7SST. I think with the 6mm I should easily get 3150fps or higher with a 110-115 gr bullet. I'm wanting a lighter hunting gun as well. Good luck on your build.

Thanks, if it looks like brass will become supported without fire forming I would likely go Sherman as it seems like a better fit. Looking to end up around 2900-3000 FPS with the higher bc 7mms. I could probably go up to 24" depending on typical velocities. My 284 win just occasionally gets a bit cumbersome at 28" barrel but it's fun for target shooting as it gets up close to 2850 FPS with the 180 eldm. I am looking for something that could potentially be more useful for both long range target and hunting in the future.

Thanks, if it looks like brass will become supported without fire forming I would likely go Sherman as it seems like a better fit. Looking to end up around 2900-3000 FPS with the higher bc 7mms. I could probably go up to 24" depending on typical velocities. My 284 win just occasionally gets a bit cumbersome at 28" barrel but it's fun for target shooting as it gets up close to 2850 FPS with the 180 eldm. I am looking for something that could potentially be more useful for both long range target and hunting in the future.
The more people that ask ADG for SS (40 degree) brass, the more likely it will happen!

My 7ss is shooting the 180 ELD M at about 3000 fps. Probably a little warm though. That is with a 26" bart 1-8. I'm actually going to try another bullet because I don't like how they perform on game.

24" 7SS with 180 Hybrids would be my choice. That would be bad medicine for about anything in North America. Good, factory brass and a real short action cartridge. Good luck.

If you have a short action that can run longer oal by using a bainy mag box, or win 70 wsm action, mrc wsm action, kimber 8400 wsm action, you can run the oal up to 3.05 I believe. 7mm wsm, 7mm-300 wsm will push 180s close to 3k in a 24" barrel with RL26. 2" extra barrel will get you a bit more. 7mm sherman short run in same longer oal, will also get close to 3k. Maybe more.

In my 284 the 175 eldx performs well in terms of accuracy and velocity in comparison to the 180 match ones. I usually use the 180 for target shooting but the 175s are quite close out past 600-1000. Mine tend to run a bit faster with similar loads to help compensate a bit for the lower bc.
My 7ss is shooting the 180 ELD M at about 3000 fps. Probably a little warm though. That is with a 26" bart 1-8. I'm actually going to try another bullet because I don't like how they perform on game.

If you have a short action that can run longer oal by using a bainy mag box, or win 70 wsm action, mrc wsm action, kimber 8400 wsm action, you can run the oal up to 3.05 I believe. 7mm wsm, 7mm-300 wsm will push 180s close to 3k in a 24" barrel with RL26. 2" extra barrel will get you a bit more. 7mm sherman short run in same longer oal, will also get close to 3k. Maybe more.

I will look into those as well. My plan was to use the longer removable magazines. I want it to be fairly easy to change from the 260 when I want the extra range/power. The 260 runs close to 2.960" coal. If I can get close to 3000 FPS that should be plenty. I will try to research the average velocities per barrel length to get a better idea of what I can expect, north of 2900 is probably enough but obviously the 3000 would be better.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.