Short action magnum out of a long action

will1588

Not sure if there is a thread on this already or not. Just looking to find some advice on guys that have had success running short action magnum cartridges out of a long action. Specifically feeding from a detachable cip magazine. My dilemma is that my brother in law has a Remington 700 magnum long action that has been trued. We installed a remage 6.8 western barrel on it and dropped it in a mpa ultralight chassis. The chassis runs cip aics mags and when all 5 rounds are loaded the first 2 just shoot straight out of the action and then the last 3 feed fine. But then the cases extract from the chamber but will not eject from the bolt. Just looking for some advice on remedies for better function. Thanks all in advance.

Attachments

• Resized_20221121_171444(1).jpeg
    Resized_20221121_171444(1).jpeg
    333.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 20221201_184126.jpg
    20221201_184126.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
Buddy I don't think that setup is going to work, and to save you the agony of trying to figure it out I'll take it off your hands. Haha. What have you already done to fix your issue?

The CIP mags don't help your case much. They're extra long for a mag that's already much longer than you'll need. I run a 7 saum in an Impact long action with standard long action mags and get along fine. But the impact also has a completely different extractor than the old Remington type.

You will prob have to make a mag spacer in the rear of the mags and tune the height and mag lips. The not ejecting is the case staying stuck on the bolt face or just dropping into the action?

You will prob have to make a mag spacer in the rear of the mags and tune the height and mag lips. The not ejecting is the case staying stuck on the bolt face or just dropping into the action?
The case is staying stuck to the bolt face. Can you run standard long action mags in the mpa chassis?

If you have 2 that eject without issue and the following 3 are not coming off the bolt face or are dropping out the magwell, I would check your ejector and clean your bolt face then see what is happening.

Well none of them actually come off the bolt face. The first 2 rounds shoot out of the action since there's so much tension on the new mag spring. I loaded the mag and leaving it for a few days hoping to take a little of the tension out of it. I just fully scrubbed the entire barreled action. I'm wondering if the only fix is to install a m16 style extractor or sako style.

I'd spend as little as possible up front to try and fix your issues. For your ejection issues I'd look at your ejector first, and not the extractor. I'd clean it up and maybe use a Stiffer Ejector Spring.

Primal Rights makes a spacer system to run BR length cartridges from .308 ACIS mags. I'm betting it could be copied, 3D printed, and installed in your magazines. You'll probably still have to tweak your feedlips and source a different spring and follower for your magazine. You might talk to some of the guys on Etsy who make reloading products with their 3D printers.