Short action magnum Cartridge Choice

I am not trying to start another "which cartridge should I go with" thread. But, I do want some insight from those of you that are running magnum cartridges in a short action. Which one works the best with limited mag box space? I have a Rem 700 SA with a Wyatts extended box mag (max 2.995 OAL) that I will be building off of. I have been considering a 7SAUM and running 175gr Berger Elite Hunters or the 6.5 GAP and running the 140's. There are others out there, like the 6.5 SS. But I am relatively new to reloading and a little intimidated by wildcat type cartridges. Mainly looking for something with factory brass. What are your thoughts?

The goal of this project is a relatively light weight hunting rifle for mainly mule deer and antelope, but elk may also be on the menu.
I think you are on the right track with keeping it simple.
I considered the 7 Saum for a light weight rifle, and ultimately went with the 6.5 Saum purely for lighter recoil (and recoil is light!).
This was my first wildcat and I can tell you that it's very easy to load for. Pm me if you have any questions on the process.
Love the 6.5 Saum I'm loading the 147 eld-m to 2.97, and with a mild load i am getting 3050 fps with h1000. Killed two bull elk with it this year.
That being said if you don't mind more recoil go with the 7 saum.

So, I wanted to give you an update on my direction for this build. It completely changed.... But prior to it changing, I was pretty set on the 7SAUM.

Last night my neighbor and I were standing in my garage watching it rain and BSing about shooting. He told me that on a whim he had purchased a brand new Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 300wsm. But, his wife was super upset about him spending the money, so he was going to sell it. So of course I had to check it out. Its a pretty nice rifle. Smooth action, good trigger, and its pretty light. Almost exactly what I was looking to build. I will be picking it up tonight. This will be a little cheaper than building another rifle. Hopefully it will shoot as good as it looks.

I shoot a Remington Model Seven SS in 7 SAUM with a factory 22" barrel. I'm getting 2960 fps with 160 grain Accubonds at 2.80". I love the rifle and round.

Is there a website that wraps up all the data on the Sherman cartridges? Everything from schematics to brass prep to load data? Maybe its out there but I am not finding it, thanks.

The rifle has a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock. Talley lightweight rings and a Leupold 4.5-14x40 CDS. It weighs around 8 pounds. I've thought about putting a lighter stock on it, but the benefit wouldn't outweigh the cost for me.

Last night my neighbor and I were standing in my garage watching it rain and BSing about shooting. He told me that on a whim he had purchased a brand new Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 300wsm. But, his wife was super upset about him spending the money, so he was going to sell it. So of course I had to check it out. Its a pretty nice rifle. Smooth action, good trigger, and its pretty light. Almost exactly what I was looking to build. I will be picking it up tonight. This will be a little cheaper than building another rifle. Hopefully it will shoot as good as it looks.

I need a neighbor like that to come along when I have the cash!!!

Going with the 300 WSM was the optimum choice, you get a cartridge that has more ammo and brass support than the abbreviated SAUMS and offspring, also there is a few more brass options coming soon, the WSM case is about to go epic

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.