Short action magnum Cartridge Choice

The 300 SAUM has never gotten the respect this little fat guy deserves... I've found it to be extremely accurate, easy to work with and a delight to shoot ! A guy couldn't go wrong picking this cartridge for anything !

I am building myself a new light-ish pack rifle. Short action for elk was the goal. Obviously shot distance will be limited but thats what happens when you compromise with light weight and short actions. I went with the 7 saum. A 162 eld or 168 vld seats just about at the junction loaded to 2.950". And should get 3000-3100 fps in 26". It was about as much as I wanted to deal with brake-less which I didnt want on this rifle as well. If I was not lazy about reloading I would have done the SS. Reminds me of the BR cartridge we are using now (6BRA) so I would be confident in its ability to handle high pressures.

Based on your post, I would recommend almost any of the short mags from the 6.5 rem mag to the 300 short mags. There are many good ones to chose from and any of them will do what you want.

I an a big fan of wildcatting, but it does take an experienced Reloader
to reap the benefits and have few if any problems with them, so I recommend starting with a factory loading. Also the short mags are very
flexible when choosing bullet weights for different size game. You can shoot lighter bullets and gain velocity or choose heavy bullets for large, tough game.

Everyone will have their favorite cartridge but you need to look at all aspects of your needs and choose the one best for you. Components may be hard to find for some cartridges but not impossible, so look into this first, but don't let that determine your choice.

Ballisticly short mags are very close in the same caliber (Like the 7mm SAUM and the 7mm WSM) and accuracy is just as good in either if loads are good. The only real difference is normally velocity and only by a small margin so that should not be the deciding factor ether.

Barrel mass and twist rate has a major bearing on bullet weight so chose one that will manage the average bullet weight (If a weight range of 140 to 160grain bullets are preferred, select a barrel weight and contour chosen for an average of 150 grain bullets so you are not limited with one weight of bullet. The same goes for the caliber. If you want something between 6.5 and 308, I would recommend one of the 7mms.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I really appreciate all of the input that everyone has given. At this point, I am leaning towards a factory case. Although, I will be talking with Rich today. Having all of these options is great, but doesn't make the decision any easier.

Not knocking Hornady, but the 6.5 SS will stomp the 6.5 PRC in the dirt when it comes to velocity and ballistics...

If you do some research on the 7mm SS, it's a ****-solid cartridge. Beats both the 7 SAUM and the 7 WSM, and still fits in the mag box with the 195 Bergers.

Not to mention with brass quality as well. I have never been a fan of H brass from when they out sourced it to now. Always been considerably softer than any other manf I have used.

Hands down on a SA and mag the SS line just flat out works well. Stupid accurate with all the .1 groyps I have seen pic after pic from numerous different rifles and calibers.

I'm warming up to the idea of a 7 SS , i currently run a 7 SAUM. I already have a great barrel in SAUM, im assuming that all it would take to go SS is a barrel set back and rechambering ? I don't want to buy a new barrel or build a whole new rifle.

I'm warming up to the idea of a 7 SS , i currently run a 7 SAUM. I already have a great barrel in SAUM, im assuming that all it would take to go SS is a barrel set back and rechambering ? I don't want to buy a new barrel or build a whole new rifle.
Ya, I think a few threads and clean up the chamber

Hey Rich , do you do this type of work? If so, PM me the turn key price to go 7 SS on my C.F. barreled Tikka T3, thanks.

Feel free to PM me regarding pricing on dies and brass, I'm pretty sure I'm going down the SS road .

Hornady's new 6.5 PRC would be worth a look. Uses the mag bolt face and geared toward the short action. Hornady makes brass for it AND factory ammo, which will probably be affordable like the Creedmoor ammo. The 147 Eld-X ammo does 2960 from a 24" barrel. COL = 2.960

I shoot a 300 WSM for elk. It is accurate and easy to load for. With a 180 Accubond it goes from close up to 650 yards. It is all I need.
I vote for The 300 WSM ,I do not have one at this time , but it is on my bucket list.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.