Short Action Hunting Cartidge Help

jayjay24

My smith offered me a stock recently in exchange for helping him sell some customer rifles. It's a Richards AA Fancy Walnut short action inletted stock and a beautiful one at that. I'm thinking of putting a Sendero Light Proof tube in it and making it a classic mixed with modern but I waffling over what cartridge to use. 6.5 CM, .260, .243, 7mm-08, etc?? Need some suggestions. I don't want a magnum round because it won't be broke and my son and daughters would be shooting it as well. Thanks for your help!

If you don't reload the 260 or the 7/08 would be my recommendation.
Ammo and bras are available at most stores.

If you do reload, dies are very affordable for both. other cartridges are ok but brass and ammo can be harder to find.

J E CUSTOM

I think if I were stick to factory loads the 6.5 CM would be the best choice too. We're getting some unreal results with match grade barrels and factory CM loads

First of all what are you planning to hunt or shoot, that will narrow the cartridge as you may want a .30 cal.
Not sure what you mean by
"I don't want a magnum round because it won't be broke" ?
As far as recoil goes todays top brakes tame recoil to very manageable level.

First of all what are you planning to hunt or shoot, that will narrow the cartridge as you may want a .30 cal.
Not sure what you mean by
"I don't want a magnum round because it won't be broke" ?
As far as recoil goes todays top brakes tame recoil to very manageable level.

I already have a custom 7mm Rem Mag on a Borden and a custom 300 RUM on a Surgeon so this will be a 300-400 yard MAX deer rifle mostly. This will be a smaller caliber round, 7mm at most...

for deer sized game and targets at short to medium (say 300 yds), I would go .243 because of low recoil ammo and component availability. Very effective on deer with the right bullets and pleasant to shoot. If I might hunt large hogs, black bear or elk I would go 7-08 or .308 and maybe put a muzzle break on it.

My vote would be 6.5x47. I have two of them and really like shooting them. One shoots the 130 Berger at 2975 fps, the other one shoots the 130 accubond at 2900 fps. Killed 10 Texas whitetail and a hog this past January with them. Bullet performance on both guns exceeded my expectations. Shots ranged from 80 to 300 yds. Never recovered a bullet. Had pass through on every animal. I do agree if not hand loading, go with the Creed. The x47 is an impressive little round. Maybe not quite as fast as the Creed but very close and extremely accurate.

You're not going to go wrong with any of the calibers you mentioned. If you reload I would go with a 260 if you want a 6.5 mm, or go with the 7 mm 08. The Creedmoor is really good if you do not plan to reload, because it offers a wide variety of ammunition available in stores. I have a 260 and a Creedmoor and like them both. They're both great rounds for deer sized game for distances farther than you mentioned and they're both easy on the recoil.

I love my daughters 7/08AI pushes a 120 ttsx at 3155 fps to .5" her gun weighs about 8lbs scoped and shes 5'6" and only 118 lbs and shoots it no problem at all and the mcmillan edge stock has little to no recoil pad.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.