Short action 30 cal. please advise...

duke77

I'm planning on a long range hunting rifle in the very near future-Probably a savage model 10 or 12.But I need advice on what chambering.I 'm pretty sure I want a short action which leaves me with 308 or 300wsm.I know its not exactly apples to apples, but is the recoil manageable in a 10 or 12lb rifle in 300wsm?I had a 300wby vangaurd that I really didn't enjoy shooting,So would I be better off just sticking to the 308 with less down range energy?
The rifle will primarily be used for deer hunting and target but hopefully elk also.I like the idea of buying match grade ammo and all the reloading info for the 308,but is it enough gun for long range hunting?
thanks in advance for any suggestions
DUKE

[ 10-25-2004: Message edited by: duke77 ]

Well,I'd like to have a rifle capable of killing more than paper targets(deer sized game) at 700 yds provided I do my part.I don't think under hunting conditions a longer shot would be possible(for me). For elk I would limit myself to half that.
Don't get me wrong I didn't mind the recoil of the 300wby when hunting,but for just shooting it had a bit much bite to it for my taste.I much prefer shooting my old 270win.
Anybody out there with a 300short mag in a heavy barrel gun like the savage 12bvss?

I have the 270 WSM and the 300 WSM. My 300 WSM is a browning A-Bolt that weight around 7 lbs. Kicked pretty good. I installed a Limb Saver Pad and I can now shoot it all day long. I also have a .338 RUM and it weighs around 10.5 lbs. After caring it around the mountains all day it feels like 20 lbs. When I'm shooting it off the bench during load tests I use a Limb Saver slip on pad. Works great. So I would say if you want to reduce the recoil go with a better recoil pad. Although I'm thinking about getting a Savage 12bvss just for the longer barrel, but that 10 lbs (without the scope) doesn't look to good.

OH boy I am going to get drageed threw the mud on this one.I shoot long range 600-1000 yards atleast once a month for two days usely about 200 rounds I know how wind affects bullets how heat mirage and other factors play on shooting.All my guns are customs I built and all will shoot sub .5 MOA Their are realy good hunting bullets out there but I dont think that they are as good as the high end match bullets.I dont belive in the 700 yards shots on deer sized game or larger. Now that being said I would not use a 30 cal.If I were to try this I would put something together with a heavey barrel and a long action. i would push the cal. up to at the least .338 cartrige would be 340 Weatherby mag or a 338 based on the 300 win mag not the 338 case. I would even consider the 375 H-H the heavy barrel will help with the recoil put some mercury reducer in the stock and a hefty recoil pad maybe even a brake. I would only shoot this with a range finder and off a rest with verry low wind.

Thanks for the replies,-real good info and food for thought. I think the 300wsm may be more what I need.I'll definately plan on a L/S recoil pad;I had no idea they made that much of a difference.
dboyerco,you may want to consider the model 12fvss-sythetic stock,26" barrel,@ 8.75lbs-thats another one I'm lookin at.
Sdiehn, I really would have to agree that 700yds is a LONG way to carry enough energy to do any good.That being said my longest shot is 300yds with my 270,and most are inside 30yds with my bow...
I guess I just like the idea of makeing the long shot,and at 700 yards I'm sure a heavier cal. would do a much better job.
Thanks again for the responses and good advice.
DUKE

[ 10-31-2004: Message edited by: duke77 ]

Duke please dont get me wrong a 30-06 at 700 will have enough energy to kill deer size game. This is my reason for the bigger cartriges the bigger faster bullets will have a little better wind fighting ablity than the 30`s combined with a little flater flight path. Also the over kill they would have would be great if the shot was placed a little marginal.

Duke

Got to disagree with the going to a 338. The 30 cals will hold their own with any other caliber out to 700 and in fact are the premier in my opinion. Almost neglible difference, the main difference is after 100 with the advantage to the 338.

Now I shoot a 300 WSM and a 338 Lapua Ack improved both out to a mile in comp and use them in LR hunting also. So guess I have some experience here.

Do a search for the Point Blank videos $20)here and buy a couple of them. They will show what can be done with each.

I am testing a 30 Hart (300 weatherby imp) that is flatter than my 338 Lapua Ack improved.

I guarantee that no deer is going to walk away from a 180SST, interbond or SMK through the boiler at 700 yards just because it came from a 30.

It is much easier to find a good 30 cal bullet than to find a 338 (only 2 possible and one needs a lot of sorting and weighing)

Buy the savage in 300 wsm and never look back!!

BH

Thanks for the advise and the info on the vidoes.I hadn't heard of them before,but I'll definately check them out.I really like the idea of staying in the 30 cal,and having "enough" gun but not a "cannon". Heres an interesting sight I found --terminal ballistics

I shoot a 300 Rum in a 30 inch barrel using 210gr bullets....At 700 yards I have 10.5 M.O.A. of drop....And it hits with about 2500ftlbs of energy

Duke77,

That is an interesting website. Although, it is very biased towards certain theories and I repeat "theories." I guess we all have our own opinions on terminal ballistics.

Good Luck!

Reloader

the savages are throated too short-imho-they shoot well but you cant use the powders needed to get the velocities or the case fill needed for consistent spreads over the chronograph-my-2-dave

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.