Short 338 Lapua

backyardsniper

Thought I would start a running thread on this project in case anyone is interested in one in the future. I have a West Texas Ordnance switch lug built on a Lone Peak Fusion TI with Manners EH1 I have a 338 lapua improved 40° and a 300 norma barrel, both carbon. I have been wanting to try the short 338 thing for a while so I picked up a sendero contour Brux blank from a fellow member here and had Clayton finish it at 21". I feel this makes for a very versatile and useful hunting rifle. I got to test fire it today with loads that I have had really good luck with in several different rifles. 300gr nosler Custom Comp, lapua brass, fed 215 and 98gr of RL33. This load averages around 2750 in all of my longer, 26"/27" 338 lapuas. I was doing the shoot and clean for.about 9 rounds so no real accuracy data yet but the velocity is right on about what I had figured. I was getting 2600fps with no pressure signs whatsoever. My plan is to switch to the 285eld most likely as it is 15gr lighter but still a .8 BC. I expect after break in and about 100rds or so when the barrel speeds up I should be able to achieve 2650fps and possibly a little better. This allows me to have a handier more maneuverable rifle of a reasonable weight with enough energy and accuracy to handle long range work but also be able to pull the muzzle break and scope and go to say a 1-4x scope or even a red dot for up close bear hunts or work in thick woods. With the option to run lighter bullets or go to a heavy round nose bonded bullet like a woodleigh for up close work on larger critters. I'm only one day into development but so far I am impressed with the balance and general handiness of the rifle. Accuracy is looking very promising with basically a 100fps trade off for the shorter barrel.
20210915_121631.jpg

Its about 10.5lb with the scope. I need to weigh it. I know it's 11.5lb with the 28" carbon barrel. I have an Elk hunt coming up in about 3 weeks. I did a little load work today but no real success yet. I'm gonna work the seating depth on the 300 nosler loads and then maybe try some 250 gr scenar and try the 300's with H1000 as well.

So far not too bad with the flames. I'm going to try a faster burning powder like 4831sc with the 250's. To try to maximize as much powder burn in the barrel as I can. That's part of the reason I'm gonna try the H1000 with the 300's. My over all goal is 2650 give or take with the 300's. I think that will provide sufficient energy down range in a really handy rifle.

Tagging in to follow, can't wait to hear how it performs in the field! I've been dreaming of a similar 338 setup but was leaning toward the Norma case.

I have the barrel and I have got to do some preliminary load workup looking at around 2600-2625 with H1000. I expect the barrel to speedup a bit and I will try some slightly faster powders to try and match with the shorter barrel. Accuracy is decent so far.

I'm thinking 18", TBAC 338 Ultra is pretty dang long but I'm in love with it. I think if I could get 2500+ FPS with 300's it would still be plenty capable at pretty long distances.