Shopping for ELR range finders

The Terrapin is still one of the best options for pure ranging ability, and I wouldn't trade mine for any other unit. The newer TerrapinX is in the same performance range, but couldn't keep up with an original Terrapin when we did a side by side comparison.
I own a both a Terrapin and the more recent Terrapin X. I agree that the original Terrapin is a much better RF. I'm not impressed with the Terrapin X at all. I have given up on the Bluetooth connection to my Kestral, which is totally unreliable. Getting service or any kind of assistance from them is near impossible.
My Revic BR4 runs circles around my original Terrapin….
IMO,

Last edited:
Vortex 4000 and fury range finding binos hard to beat for the price. There is one with more functions listed above and you pay for them. The vortex does everything I need so all in what you want to spend.

I own a both a Terrapin and the more recent Terrapin X. I agree that the original Terrapin is a much better RF. I'm not impressed with the Terrapin X at all. I have given up on the Bluetooth connection to my Kestral, which is totally unreliable. Getting service or any kind of assistance from them is near impossible.
My Revic BR4 runs circles around my original Terrapin….
IMO,
I haven't used the Revic BR4, but I've heard good things about it. I've also seen variations between Terrapin units. Mine will give consistent ranges to 4900 yards, under ideal conditions, when I go back to the same location from one day to next. I've watched other units struggle to range the same object under the same conditions.

I haven't used the Revic BR4, but I've heard good things about it. I've also seen variations between Terrapin units. Mine will give consistent ranges to 4900 yards, under ideal conditions, when I go back to the same location from one day to next. I've watched other units struggle to range the same object under the same conditions.
I think the original Terrapin has a superb laser, capable of very accurate ranging to over 3000 yards. I've had mine for several years, and for static target/steel ELR shooting using the Terrapin with a tripod it's hard to beat. For 500-1200 yard max hunting distances, the Terrapins scant 5x magnification combined with the tiny ranging circle, running it off makeshift rests when hunting is very difficult for me to manage. I find the ballistic RF's like the Sig 2400, BR2, and more recently the superb BR4 are better designed and featured for my particular LR hunting situations. Just my experience.

With the magnifier attached.
For ELR I still wish someone would make a LRF spotting scope.
Been waiting for that for quite some time, asked Sig about something like it and they said they have some "things" coming in the future but the market is so small for these items that it won't be a high dollar item like I'm looking for.

One of the biggest names in optics had something in the works about 10 years back but I think they abandoned the project. I'm guessing it would have been out of most guys' price range anyway.
The only thing of its kind that I am aware of is the Newcon optik, but don't know anyone that has ever held one.

Lots of states frown on anything emitting from a weapon for hu ting, and you would likely run into issues around that. For target only, not sure the market size is there.

All speculation.

My terrapin dropped,NO WORKE. Told me maybe $1200 to fix, minimum for work order.Expensive paper weight.Like my sig 2400 ABS

For durability I think the revic is probably good. I have two buddies that have a revic, these are the original ones both of them. They range very well, one buddy just carries his Leica 1600 just because of size and weight, he's a back pack hunter so every ounce he watches. The other friend actually was out shooting but his stuff away had his range finder on the bed rail of his truck. Took off got driving down the road at about 55mph and seen some thing fall in his mirror. He pulled over seen something on the road went and picked up his range finder forgot to put it away and it still worked fine. I have a Leica 2400r that works great I have ranged out to mile many times no issues. Had a sig kilo 2000 was great when new but after couple years it kind of faded. Sent it in and sig went through it came back saying it was all in speck. Sold it told the guy what my issues were he bought it price reflected too, he was using it for bow hunting so didn't care it worked great out to 300-400 yards.