Shop for me - 12ga duck loads

That's a no on Rodgers đź‘Ž

bought many cases of shells from them. left bad reviews on the bad ones and they never showed up in the comments.

buyer beware of the frauds. they just want to take your money đź’¸

So I normally hate these type of threads that ask too basic of a question but my research is just leading in circles. I am an avid competitive rifle shooter and occasionally hunter, not so much with the scatterguns. I owe a landowner for allowing me to host a PRS match on his land, but he refuses to take cash payment. I know he loves to duck hunt, so I want to buy a brick or two of shotgun shells and drop them off at his place. Kind of hard to refuse a gift if its not face to face right? Anyway, I need you guys with more experience to spend my money. I want to give him high quality ammo that performs well. I know at some point you reach diminishing returns, but I don't want to be a cheap bastard either. I also know that to get best results you should pattern the different loads in your gun, but that's obviously not an option here so I'm looking for ammo based off of reputation/your experience. In the competitive rifle world, I shoot Berger bullets because they are the best common bullets you can buy. Yeah there are some that cost more, but they don't really shoot any better. What is the "Berger Hybrid" of the duck hunting world? I'm looking for loaded ammo, and also where you would suggest buying online since my local stores seem pretty dry on shotgun ammo.
Well if it's the Berger Hybrid we are comparing to....then Challenger no. 5 should work!🤣

Like others have mentioned, if going straight steel Kent faststeel, or drylocks are top end for quality. You also have blindside or blackcloud for more gimmicky but work good. Higher end heavy metal works good. If he is more old fashioned I would go with the drylocks or heavy metal. I personally dont think the others are worth the price a good choke would be a better choice. For size you are looking at #2, 1, B or BB. If he doesnt shoot geese or ducks at longer range #2s work good. I only shoot BB. For size go 3" most duck guns can shoot it. For velocity for steel only dont go under 1500 fps.

Me and the folks I hunt with all order through Roger's with no issues and fast shipping. We are likely over 20-30 cases ordered with no issues

I appreciate everyone's feedback, I didn't expect such a large response in the off season. To answer a few questions, we're in SE WA where the ducks are primarily hunted over decoys at the river's edge and in the sloughs. Very few trees to speak of. He also hunts geese mostly in open grass fields, but I think he chases ducks a bit more than geese. I know that some ducks will come in to the goose fields, and sometimes geese to the river, but it seems they generally get one or the other. My uncle hunts with him frequently, but my uncle is also a cheap bastard, and always buys the cheapest he can find. I will certainly use my uncle as a resource, but I wanted to be armed with good information form you guys regarding high quality ammo. I want to treat him with something that he might not ordinarily buy for himself if that makes sense. Thanks for the help, I will definitely start looking into your suggestions.

If you're getting ammo, Kent Faststeel, #2's for ducks, BB's for geese. Personally I think if you went the direction of maybe a collector type item such as a call or 2 would really surprise him. Feel free to PM me and maybe I can help with this.

If you want the best buy him TSS 6s or 7s try and find them in a velocity around 1300 fps. The reason why TSS is so amazing is it's twice as heavy as steel. Which for a long range rifle shooter imagine if you could double the range of your rifle. That's what your doing with TSS doubling or tripling the pellet count and doubling the range of your shotgun. With TSS you do not need a 3 1/2 shell a 2 3/4 will definitely get the job done.

You don't want to buy him something that he won't use. Talk to your uncle and find out what length shells and shot sizes he uses. Also find out if he shoots steele or some alternative. Go from there.

If you want the best buy him TSS 6s or 7s try and find them in a velocity around 1300 fps. The reason why TSS is so amazing is it's twice as heavy as steel. Which for a long range rifle shooter imagine if you could double the range of your rifle. That's what your doing with TSS doubling or tripling the pellet count and doubling the range of your shotgun. With TSS you do not need a 3 1/2 shell a 2 3/4 will definitely get the job done.
No need to use TSS 6s or 7s, we shoot 9s out of a 28ga and kill ducks and geese with light loads of #9s

F4FA1BE6-4BBB-48BE-A4D5-423658DBE76A.jpeg

I like the Kent also. I have used the Bismuth and Tungsten in numerous brands, IMO it doesn't perform any better than steel shot but as was said here if he's cheap he will probably never buy himself any so that might be a treat but he may also never shoot it.

Im surprised to see so many people shooting big pellets at ducks. I always bring a bit of an array to the blind so I can swap when ever but if mainly shooting ducks I stick to #3 or 4's. If it's about 50/50 ducks to geese I'll shoot mainly 2's if its mostly geese BB's