Shop for me - 12ga duck loads

Do you know what type of shotgun the landowner uses? Is it a vintage side-by-side with only 2-¾ inch chambers? If you don't know, don't buy him ammo - you/he can't return or exchange it if it's wrong for his firearm or application. Stick to a gift card so he can get something he can use.

So I normally hate these type of threads that ask too basic of a question but my research is just leading in circles. I am an avid competitive rifle shooter and occasionally hunter, not so much with the scatterguns. I owe a landowner for allowing me to host a PRS match on his land, but he refuses to take cash payment. I know he loves to duck hunt, so I want to buy a brick or two of shotgun shells and drop them off at his place. Kind of hard to refuse a gift if its not face to face right? Anyway, I need you guys with more experience to spend my money. I want to give him high quality ammo that performs well. I know at some point you reach diminishing returns, but I don't want to be a cheap bastard either. I also know that to get best results you should pattern the different loads in your gun, but that's obviously not an option here so I'm looking for ammo based off of reputation/your experience. In the competitive rifle world, I shoot Berger bullets because they are the best common bullets you can buy. Yeah there are some that cost more, but they don't really shoot any better. What is the "Berger Hybrid" of the duck hunting world? I'm looking for loaded ammo, and also where you would suggest buying online since my local stores seem pretty dry on shotgun ammo.
Why not just ask him what load he shoots ? Just be discreet about it.

If I was in your shoes I would get him something in a shell he may not get himself. Maybe a case of Hevi Shot Heavy 12 or Federal Meateater or Kent Bismuth. A case of 3 inch will be $320 to $500. It is all good stuff. Not lead, but so much better than steel.
I think you are right on. Hevi Shot is one of the best. I don't duck hunt much anymore. Talking to my son he think Hevi Shot is top of the line and very expense. He always in the blind during duck and goose season. His friend and him have two trailers 8 x 16 loaded with decoys. The one friend dad make them look sick in decoys with his trailer.

You would be better off taking the item to them or him or dropping them off at his doorstep. I do very much agree that any to do for somebody that allow you to hunt on their property. There a lot of times I hand out top of the line bottles of liquor. I have to be careful, because not all partake in having a drink. In places I have hunted in the past I found out where the farmer were having breakfast in the morning. Set down and have coffee with them. Buy the whole group breakfast. I think the biggest thing was talking to them, and they could see you are not a Turkey. I was hunting pheasant their property. I stop because I could see the population of Pheasant were down. I don't like and won't hunt if the birds are down in population. Learn that as a kid hunting Quail in S. Calif. Those places are all gone now in Mexico-North.

12ga

3" Winchester Drylok Supreme 1 1/4ozs of #3 or #4 shot. Buy him a non-ported Carlson Mid-Range Cremator for his shotgunn as a special gift while you are at it.

No gimic pellets, no bold claims, they just flat out kill ducks dead efficiently.

I have about 16 cases taking up space in the closet of the spare bedroom, more than me, the hunting buddies and the kids will ever need.
I like the gift card idea.
Just look online for what sports stores are near him. Academy, Sportsman Warehouse, Bass Pro etc.
Most guys like to make their own decisions.
He may still refuse that.
At least your not stuck with something you don't use and can go treat yourself

So I normally hate these type of threads that ask too basic of a question but my research is just leading in circles. I am an avid competitive rifle shooter and occasionally hunter, not so much with the scatterguns. I owe a landowner for allowing me to host a PRS match on his land, but he refuses to take cash payment. I know he loves to duck hunt, so I want to buy a brick or two of shotgun shells and drop them off at his place. Kind of hard to refuse a gift if its not face to face right? Anyway, I need you guys with more experience to spend my money. I want to give him high quality ammo that performs well. I know at some point you reach diminishing returns, but I don't want to be a cheap bastard either. I also know that to get best results you should pattern the different loads in your gun, but that's obviously not an option here so I'm looking for ammo based off of reputation/your experience. In the competitive rifle world, I shoot Berger bullets because they are the best common bullets you can buy. Yeah there are some that cost more, but they don't really shoot any better. What is the "Berger Hybrid" of the duck hunting world? I'm looking for loaded ammo, and also where you would suggest buying online since my local stores seem pret

So I normally hate these type of threads that ask too basic of a question but my research is just leading in circles. I am an avid competitive rifle shooter and occasionally hunter, not so much with the scatterguns. I owe a landowner for allowing me to host a PRS match on his land, but he refuses to take cash payment. I know he loves to duck hunt, so I want to buy a brick or two of shotgun shells and drop them off at his place. Kind of hard to refuse a gift if its not face to face right? Anyway, I need you guys with more experience to spend my money. I want to give him high quality ammo that performs well. I know at some point you reach diminishing returns, but I don't want to be a cheap bastard either. I also know that to get best results you should pattern the different loads in your gun, but that's obviously not an option here so I'm looking for ammo based off of reputation/your experience. In the competitive rifle world, I shoot Berger bullets because they are the best common bullets you can buy. Yeah there are some that cost more, but they don't really shoot any better. What is the "Berger Hybrid" of the duck hunting world? I'm looking for loaded ammo, and also where you would suggest buying online since my local stores seem pretty dry on shotgun ammo.
Rogers sporting is having a sale that ends today on waterfowl stuff ammo and other things that being said anything over 100 dollars ships free I personally like winchester blind side or federal blackcloud nothing smaller than 1s , the faster they are the better they kill 1400fps or faster, we haven't had the ducks for the last few years but I used to go through 2 to 3 cases a year JMHO

Rogers sporting is having a sale that ends today on waterfowl stuff ammo and other things that being said anything over 100 dollars ships free I personally like winchester blind side or federal blackcloud nothing smaller than 1s , the faster they are the better they kill 1400fps or faster, we haven't had the ducks for the last few years but I used to go through 2 to 3 cases a year JMHO
Rogers is the shiz for duck hunters.They have stuff nobody else has.

You opened a can of worms there !!!

Just thinking out loud here, but have you tried asking him about his friends, who he has hunted with before? They may share tidbits with you he may not share. They see it as helping their friend. Sometimes wives will share too. Word of warning. They have the best info, but you will find you have to earn it.

One thing that would be good to know is does he hunt timber or fields, how long are most of his shots going to be if most of his shots are in yo face about any waterfowl load will do