shooting with both eyes open??

loaders_loft

I've read about shooting with both eyes open and always dismissed it. :)

A few weeks ago I was sighting in before my first long range match and one of the local guys was telling me to shoot with both eyes open.

:DIt was really strange but I did try it a few times at the match and seemed to be fine.

What are your thoughts about shooting with both eyes open? lightbulb

Do you shoot this way, why or why not...

When I shoot a pistol, shotgun or rifle with iron sights at a moving target I shoot with both eyes open. If I shoot at a target with a rifle with either scope or iron sights I close one eye.

When shooting targets; I use my right eye with a scope, my left eye with iron sights.

;)

When I keep both eyes open I do it so see the big picture.

I close my left eye using the scope because my dominant eye, (the left,) may confuse the picture. The same with iron sights, I probably don't need to but I close one eye so I don't confuse the sight picture.

Last edited:
the local range guru has got me starting to shoot with both eyes open. he never used to untill his vision started to fail, now he swears it helps keep his scope eye focused.

I dont suffer from eye fatigue like he does, however i feel much more comfortable during long shooting sessions with both eyes open. seems like my face is much more relaxed when both are open. i dont really notice an accuracy difference if my off eye is open or closed, only when my dominant eye is shut :D

like all things in life its different strokes for different folks. you'll get advice from both sides of the fence so do what works for you and run with it. just my .02.

then again i'm still a young shooter, maybe others know more.

Last edited:
I think a large part depends on what eye is dominant and what hand you shoot. I know that I can't shoot accuratly LR with both open (I've tried) because I am a right handed shot, but am left eye dominant. If I keep both eyes open I dont see much magnifacation, just the cross hairs and a bit of blur. When I'm presented with a close shot this is a bonus because it like having a red dot or open sights (though I shoot about a 4'' group at 100 this way). If on the other hand I was right eye dominant i think that I would shoot with both eyes open to help combat face fatigue, making me more comfortable behind the gun. I've also heard of guys using an eye patch in f-class to avoid fatigue... makes sense to me. I would say experiment with it.

I've always shot everything but a scoped rifle with both eyes open. Recently I've begun shooting with both eyes open even with scopes because I can also see the scope level without moving from shooting position. I'm not real comfortable with it yet, but in time I think I will be.

I started shooting with both eyes ten years ago. Some of the best advice I ever listened too, especially shotgunning.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.