Shooting with a fused neck

I had neck surgery in February of 2020 were the Dr. put screws and plates In my C-2,C-3,C-4,C-5 and I am just now feeling like I am ready to go back to shooting only with a lite recoiling rifle. I am still having issues with my neck, but With the MPA 6.5 CM that Phil built me that weights 19lbs for bench shooting I can go back to enjoying shooting again. I am limiting my lifting to 20lbs for at least 6-8 months.

Last edited:
I am scheduled to have C4-C7 fused on August 6th. I have degenerative discs and a lot of stenosis in that area. My spine is being pressed into a kidney bean shape and my right shoulder is numb so there is no putting it off. My doctor has told me that I should be fine shooting and probably will have more mobility in my neck after the surgery due to the muscles relaxing. I know that the turning left to right and bending backward and forward are mainly in the region or C2-C4. C4 thorough C7 is the bending side to side so I'm curious how that will affect getting a good check weld. Guess I will find out in a month or so. I'll let you know. Good luck with your surgery.

I recently found out that I'm going to need neck surgery. After X-rays and MRIs, they found two discs fused and determined the majority of the other vertebrae and my neck will have to be fused to resolve some major issues.

My question is, is it possible just still shoot long range or even shoot at all with a fused neck?

I did some personal testing I don't think I can unless I make major changes to the height of the scope ring and possibly changes to the stocks of my rifles. I'm worried that my lifestyle and my love for shooting will have to be discontinued.

Does anyone have any experience with neck issues and still been able to continue shooting?
I broke my neck had a ski accident 30 years ago, and have a limited range of movement. this has only affected prone position shooting. I have to assume a much higher position in order to get my eye behind the scope. proper form standing or sitting requires very little tilt of the head.

I am scheduled to have C4-C7 fused on August 6th. I have degenerative discs and a lot of stenosis in that area. My spine is being pressed into a kidney bean shape and my right shoulder is numb so there is no putting it off. My doctor has told me that I should be fine shooting and probably will have more mobility in my neck after the surgery due to the muscles relaxing. I know that the turning left to right and bending backward and forward are mainly in the region or C2-C4. C4 thorough C7 is the bending side to side so I'm curious how that will affect getting a good check weld. Guess I will find out in a month or so. I'll let you know. Good luck with your surgery.
Jackmonkey,
Thanks for the info on which discs do what. That is helpful. I expect mine to be similar to yours, same number of discs accept moving up one in the column. Hoping the best outcome for your surgery. I'm very interested in your successful recovery so keep us posted. I should be a month behind you.

Didn't read the whole thread, but it is best to ask your surgeon. You only have so many shots (sorry) at this surgery and if you mess it up, your chances of getting relief diminish with each subsequent surgery.

If you got gunsmithing advice from your neurosurgeon it would likely be bad advice, to be fair.

I have cervical problems as well. Spent years figuring out how to hunt with low recoil. Solution was a 7mm-08 semi-auto... and I just started hunting with a 6.5 CM. Both work well for Elk hunting...without a brake.
For white tail.. .243 is amazing.

I gave the 12 gauge & .30-06 to my son.

Late to the thread. Just looked today.
Don't give up. I've had 2 neck surgeries. C2-C7 are fuzed. Two ladder shaped titanium plates and 16 screws held me together while stuff grew back and fuzed. It took a while to mend. Missed one hunting season and part of one fishing spring. After all was said and done I do just fine. Range of motion somewhat limited in one direction (to right), but I can shoot a shotgun and swing on targets and ducks just fine. Shoot any rifle I want (no huge boomers >7RUM) and i run brakes on most everything. I don't shoot prone but sitting with crossed sticks or a bench is fine. If i hold my hands up very long they go numb or tingle (like using binos or holding a rifle/shotgun up for an extended time). However! It's not that much an annoyance and I do pretty much whatever i want within reason. I have lost a lot of feeling in my hands and fingers, as well as grip strength and arm strength - especially on right side. Nerves got pinched and died and I put the surgery off too long. My bad. Now I'm paying for my slowness.
Good luck with yours. Now you too can set off the metal detectors!!!

Hey I'm 14, 5'3 and 125 pounds. I am looking to get a 7mm rem mag with a good muzzle brake and/or LimbSaver recoil pad. I'm just wondering if the recoil would be too much for me? I shoot my dads 270 fine

Hey I'm 14, 5'3 and 125 pounds. I am looking to get a 7mm rem mag with a good muzzle brake and/or LimbSaver recoil pad. I'm just wondering if the recoil would be too much for me? I shoot my dads 270 fine
If you're shooting at game, you won't notice ANY recoil. The recoil of my .375 H&H magnum disappeared when I was shooting at a big brown bear in Siberia. And if you are motivated, it won't bother you during target practice either.
Furthermore, you probably have at least 4, maybe 6, years to grow into it. ;)

BoatTail , I broke my neck in 1997 so am fused at C-5 and C-6 .I worked for 3 months that way as the Dr.'s didn't believe me until they got in there for surgery . They then told me I was lucky to still be alive . I still shoot but the heavy recoiling rifles cause me problems with pain as they didn't fuse the upper disks C-2 on down to C-5 . It can be done and is done by many people . Listen to your Dr.'s and PT's they can help you to get back into the shooting world . We all react to things differently some better some not so well just take your time and exercise some sense with what you do and you will be back to shooting with time . The best of luck to you with it . Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.