Shooting stick bipod poles versus heavy bipod

rblum

Has anyone had experience with both the harris type bipod versus the "shooting stick aluminum pole bipods? I have a Harris bipod, but I don't like it as it is heavy and puts much weight on the forward part of my rifle. Has anyone used both in hunting situations and can advise me of your opinions as to how each does in comparison to the other? Thanks

I use both, depending on the terrain and vegatation. If I am going to be on flat terrain with short vegatation I prefer the bipod and shooting prone. I use them on a bull barelled rifle so I don't notice the weight. If I am going to be in rougher terrain or have taller vegatation where I will be shooting from a sitting or kneeling position I use the sticks.

You can make your own sticks with a couple of heavy dowel rods and some nylon rope. When done correctly they work great. The rope can slide up and down the rods to adjust the height. This works much better that simply spreading the legs out. The end result is you can have a set of sticks tall enough to shoot off of kneeling that you can also adjust wwwwaaaaayyyyy low and shoot prone if you need to. Total cost will be less that $5 too.

Everyone will have his personal favorite. Best is to use both, there are times when the Harris is the optimum, such as hunting in wide open habitat where prone is a viable shooting position and sticks when habitat is likely to demand sitting or kneeling shots. I use sticks but prefer the new tripod model with three legs, lets you take your hand off the sticks altogether. Sold by Stoney Point and they are very steady, light, easy to carry.
I have also begun carrying two rests, one for the butt. Either a beenie bag or a second set of sticks

I really like my Harris bipods but I would like to get more (so I don't have to move bipod to other guns). My Caldwell Lead Sled is exceptionaly well built - the Calwell Bipods are much cheaper than the Harris. Are they nearly as good?

multi_bipod.jpg

Caldwell

Lock stock & barrel I do hope this works this time, I have spent over an hour typing and lost it twice giving you this link. This is the smartest thing I've ever seen or used for hunting, glassing, taking pics or shooting from! It is in my not so humble opinion the best thing since sliced bread! If we where shooting buddies, I would give you my HEAVEY, UNGAINLY Harris ***. You got to love a mono-pod it truly will become your "rod of staff and comfort". I would be willing to bet that this was really "MAN's FIRST TOOL"! Don't leave home to do anything outdoors that needs walking or climbing without it.

Thax - one of the advantages of being dyslexic (like GW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif) is that it's impossible for me to type strings like that - so you are forced to use the computer for mundane tasks. I tell people I don't write computer programs for a living, I just copy, paste & edit. Next time pop a few windows and copy/paste.

BIG, that's what I did after all the typing, both times I lost it when I tried to return to this page. So I got it to work this way. What the heck, I just wanted to give this fellow another side to look at. This is one of those items that work so well that I hate to not pass it on! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Pop several windows. Learn to use right click on hyperlinks "Open in new window" - Lern 2 use the "Alt Tab" combo to toggle between windows.
Good programers r lazy.
Even my laptop sports dual monitors when I travel - my dev machine has a minimum of 3 monitors.

[ QUOTE ]
Pop several windows. Learn to use right click on hyperlinks "Open in new window" - Lern 2 use the "Alt Tab" combo to toggle between windows.
Good programers r lazy.
Even my laptop sports dual monitors when I travel - my dev machine has a minimum of 3 monitors.

[/ QUOTE ] You would think after 25 years of computer use that I would know that. What? I say, I did know that? No there is something else going on with this program. But thank you for the help. I built this machine with a raid card and run dual hard drives to guard against any drive crash. I run a lot of Cad,Cam on this machine and should not use it for surfing. However is a comfortable machine to use so it gets the work on the net. My lap tops see control time for machine work and I guess I should just have one app for the net and leave the rest to do what they where built or modified to do. Oh, thank you for the suggestions most kind of you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I use the Stoney Point regular 39" sticks since I hunt alot of hilly country with cover not flat & too tall for prone. I really like the shorter type sticks and don't see a change in impact like with the Harris bipod. Quick to deploy and very functional. Sit against a tree with the stick downhill and you are rock steady. You also can check out the Christensen Arms site. They carry a swivel type bipod that slips onto an adaptor on your rifle that lets you set heighth and fully swivels. Think that they are called snip pod. Seen them used on Eastmans TV show. Costly, but looks good. Just wish I could handle a pair for a few minutes. Good luck.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I've had the same opinion of bipods; they work great but are cumbersome on a serious walking rifle. Last winter I made a U-shaped bracket out of carbon fiber (I'm a boat builder and work with composites of all kinds) and put a 1/4-20 stud on the bottom. I screw it into the tripod for my spotting scope, which lives in my daypack at all times, and use it for a rest.

I tried it out on a sage rat hunt a couple of weeks ago and it works fine; I had as many hits as I usually do with a "real" rest, and it adds about 2 oz to my pack.

A heavier and more fragile (but probably just fine) substitute could be made with a half-piece of 2" schedual 40 plastic pipe, with a 1/4-20 flat head machine screw, with the head countersunk into the top, and a nut torqued down from the bottom with an inch or so of the threaded part of the screw below that. Make sense? Throw it into your pack and thread it into your tripod.

Looking for a long bipod seems i always end up on a hill 24" is not enough. Need some dirrection before i waste a dime.

kurt

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts