Shooting Sling Thoughts?

Mrhounddog

Hey Fellas,
Coming from a competition background, I know the value of a shooting sling when in position. I use a Turner 1907 sling, which allows me to actually sling up, or I use an adjustable two point sling, which allows me to use a hasty sling with good tension. What are your thoughts concerning the use of a shooting sling while hunting? If you use one, what type do you use?

@Mrhounddog when I was a kid, my dad taught me how to use a sling practically. He always told me that a sling was first a shooting aid, not a way to carry my rifle. I always used 1907 style slings until I found the RifleCraft Sling.

It's lightweight, well made, quiet in the woods, and it's super easy to sling up. They went out of business several years ago when the owner got busy with his day job, so I bought several of them. I've got at least 4 of them now. 3 in regular use and one in reserve. I have used one for a short range club level PRS style match and it performed very well. Last season I was back in the woods a ways, but I could still see the edge of one of our alfalfa fields. At last light a nice buck stepped out into the field, but I had a good lane to shoot (or so I thought) I hit a branch between him and I and sent on into the ground at his feet. He ran through the field up the hill and stopped to look back to see what spooked him. Fortunately he gave me a small but clear shooting lane. He was about 275yards away at this point and I needed to anchor him or he could run up over the hill into a very large wooded plot, most of which was posted. Because of my practice with this rifle and sling, I was able to sling up and drop into kneeling in one smooth motion. I held on his neck, and flipped him over backwards with my .280rem and a 154gr Hornady Interlock. My brother-in-law couldn't believe I'd made that shot, my dad just reminded him that I'd made similar shots on groundhogs all my life.

For NRA highpower I still use a Turner on my service rifle and a Kurt Thune on my match rifle, but for a practical/hunting rifle, these are great slings.

Good luck,
Ross

I think the sling is still an essential part of hunting, the big difference between the sling on my precision/competition/tactical chassis rifle and my hunting rifle is padding. I want padding and fewer big metal or plastic components if I am going to be carrying the rifle around when it is not strapped to my pack. Because of this I think it lends itself less to being a shooting aide, and more as a comfortable means of transportation. Where a competition you would be moving from stage to stage and the rifle would be in your hands or across your chest, my hunting rifle is going to be over my shoulder. The sling plays less of a role in positional shooting while hunting versus competition in general, and things like shooting cuffs (which I don't really care for) I don't see being used while hunting (not to say they aren't or you can't). Either way I like a bit of bungee when I can get it.

My current hunting slings is a Spec Ops Master Blaster Sticky-Back Sling (good sling, ridiculous name)

My other shooting sling for my chassis rifle is an Armageddon Gear Precision Rifle Sling.

I have previously used TAB Gear products (Pinnacle sling and shooting bags) but have found them somewhat poorly finished for the high price.

I don't really use a sling for hunting, just because how I hunting. But from other experiences, with other rifles and on the rare occasion for hunting i only use a 2 point. Specifically an adjustable one that was mentioned, all mine being blue force vickers.

Hey Fellas,
Thanks for the responses. I am pretty much in line with the thinking y'all put into this. Like Ross, I use a Turner on my service rifle, and a no pulse cuff for match rifles.
However, I have been experimenting with using a plain Blue Force Gear padded sling on my LR hunting rifle, and I am finding that I like it...a lot! Since it does not have a cuff, I can sling up pretty darn fast with it, and I can do it in a variety of positions. I got a chance to fling some vitamin L out to 1100 yds and it was very solid.
I have looked at the Armageddon Gear sling, and I like the minimalist cuff feature, but mainly I would like to try the bungee feature to see if that constantly induced tension was beneficial. The sticky feature on that Spec-Ops sling might also be a good feature to try.
Anyway, I am still on the hunt (pun intended).

Thanks,
Bill

Google Slogan Outdoors and look at their Slogan sling. It allows normal carry, a two band carry over both shoulders and also allows a rapid rifle sling shoot when needed for fast supported shots. Has both normal sling swivels and cups when needed. I'll never use any other.

I've used a 1907 for over 50 years. My current sling has quite a few critters, from moose to rock chucks to its credit. Can't imagine not using at least a hasty sling. I've seen a lighter version from Montana Slings I need to check out.

That Slogan sling looks VERY interesting. I like the all weather aspect, as well as the stretch part.

I really like ability to take off shoulder, do a quick rapid wrap on left arm and get to steady kneeling position for a quick shot. One of my largest mulies in the trees was taken this way. Without the steady rapid wrap I don think I would've taken him quickly.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.