Shooting Rocks @ 869 YARDS..???

bigbuck

I was out hunting and didnt see any game so I thought I would dial in the Elevation and windage for a rock , the size of (guess) 18 to 24 inches and let one fly no smoke ? Loaded another and ask my spotter to watch closely and sent it again . No smoke ? I could hear that cracking sound that it makes when you hit a rock. My question is this it had been raining for several days so could the rock have been wet and not smoke or did I just simply miss ? I shoot a 300 RUM 210 Berger and when its dry there is no problem at all seeing dust .

Thanks for looking ......

Depends on the type of rock. Very hard rocks like granite leave little dust.

Jeff

That is exactly what kind of rock I was shooting at (very hard) . The last time out I shot one at 985 and it smoked but not like I have seen in some videos . I would have had to drive along ways to the other MTN so I didnt but next time I will go and see if I can find some bullet impacts in the rock . Thanks for the reply

I like the ones where you can spot the hits like this one. A few people on here might know this rock. It was at like 1400 or 1500 if I remember right. I think the elevation was pretty well on.:cool:

Jeff

CopyofDSC03860Small.jpg

I like the ones where you can spot the hits like this one. A few people on here might know this rock. It was at like 1400 or 1500 if I remember right. I think the elevation was pretty well on.:cool:

Jeff

CopyofDSC03860Small.jpg

SWEEET ! I gotta get out there and shoot with you guys some daygun)
Looks like you were holding 12 MOA to 13 MOA (guessing) groups impressive....

we shoot at as many rocks as most and maybe more.
it is good fun and no doubt a good way to sharpen ones skill level.
but are there going to be dust clouds from the animals you hope to hit?
and frankly they dont always react as though they were.
point is your spotter should be equipted to know wether it was a hit or not
regardless of the dust cloud. especially at those distances.
if he cant then id suggest looking into better optics so he can.

No, lets say the rock is at 1400 yards away. 1 moa at 1400 is 14"( roughly) 2 moa is 28" (roughly)

So the rock is roughly 1 1/2 x 2 moa or 21" x 28"

If the group is 1 moa it would be 14"

Jeff

Thanks for breaking it down for me:) I should have known what you were saying.

Was you shooting your .338 weatherby that you use to have or was that with your 300 Win mag that you have been hunting with this year ? Either way great shooting ! The impacts look rather large in the photo so i thought maybe .338

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.