Shooting Rests

dasslp

Well, I've finally ordered the Cooper Montana Varminter from Bill Bailey at Gene Sears Supply and was just wondering what kind of rife rests you fella's recommend? I'm so shaky when trying to sight a rifle that I don't really know where it's going. I've been looking at different types of rests at different prices but wanted some expert opinions before I purchased one. Also, do any of you guys shoot PMC ammo? It is quite a bit cheaper than any other brands in the 243 caliber. I would like to start re-loading my own ammo but I have absolutely NO experience. Any thoughts on how to get started without blowing the barrel off my rifle?

Thanks guys, dasslp

If you want to keep it simple, pick up a set of the suede leather shooting bags that you fill with sand. You can use boards or phone books to build up under the front rest to get the proper elevation (just make sure you have a solid surface under the front and rear bags). You can spend $75 or more to get one of the tripod benchrest shooting rests, which are adjustable up and down if you want to spend a little more money. Good gun shops should have these items, or you could order them from www.cabelas.com or www.basspro.com.

As far as the handloading, get yourself a book on the subject geared towards beginners--again, Bass Pro or Cabela's should have these on their website. Also, see if you can find anyone locally that can show you the ropes. www.midwayusa.com also has a lot of reloading supplies and books. Good luck with your shooting! Sam

I think you'll find 99% of the "active" members on this forum handload. I feel the best way to get started is to find a friend that does it, buy the dies(if he doesn't already have them), powder, bullets, brass and primers you need and go give it a try under his supervision. Once you have a basic hands on understanding, you can decide if it's something you want to do on your own and you'll have a better idea of what equipment to buy.

A word of advice though, skip the kit and just buy the press and either the Lyman 1200 DPS or the RCBS Chargemaster Combo. Lerch can attest to this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif!!!

I shoot off a concrete bench. It has been set in place and reminds me of the benchrest style benches. I then set up my caldwell lead sled with 2 25# bags of shot. Makes for a very very steady rest. All you gotta do is have good ammo, and squeeze the trigger.

have two that I use: one is a sinclair heavy varmint rest with windage around 450.00 my other is a benchrest comp rest cost around 750.00 . For testing I'll use either one I have in the truck at the time when I go to test both are heavy and once set up don,t move and it works for me. Weight I guess about some 30 lbs. The benchrest one is much heavier and don't move once set up on the bench. One get's what he pays for and can afford.!!!!

have two that I use: one is a sinclair heavy varmint rest with windage around 450.00 my other is a benchrest comp rest cost around 750.00 . For testing I'll use either one I have in the truck at the time when I go to test both are heavy and once set up don,t move and it works for me. Weight I guess about some 30 lbs. The benchrest one is much heavier and don't move once set up on the bench. One get's what he pays for and can afford.!!!!
Well, he was looking for advice in 2006, hopefully he's pulled the trigger by now…

Well, he was looking for advice in 2006, hopefully he's pulled the trigger by now…
If he hasn't he's not much of a shooter. 😁

Actually it's not a bad topic to be brought back up.

Recently I had a chance to try out a Caldwell Stinger and Caldwell Fire Control rest.

I'm having a really hard time not liking the FCR.

Has anyone here got any significant experience with either?