Shooting rest

I've been through a few different rests over the past couple years. Heavy rifles are pretty easy to shoot off of any of them....including a bipod, but for lightweight hunting the best thing I have found is a bulls bag with a rear bag. I made a wooden platform to raise the bulls bag up to the height I want it.

I have had several set ups and the Sinclair f class gen. 3 bipod with a lead shot filled bunny rabbit rear bag has worked the best. the bipod has cant adjustment plus a fine elevation knob. really helps to reaquire the target

Front Caldwell rest and rear squeeze bag.
20191228_103000.jpg

For use in the field, my wife still sews some sand bags out of worn-out blue-jean legs. My shooting benches (and lunch tables) for the varmint field are old three-legged ironing boards, with sand-hammocks hung under them for increased stability. (The more weight you hang, the more stable they get.) A webbed lawn chair works just about right for a seat. All the money saved goes to powder and bullets, barrels, gas and glass.

Shooting off a Caldwell rest @100yds. 300 WM just breaking in. Under 25 rds down range.C946D8E0-E31C-4BD1-A63B-6FC2E53FF5BA.jpeg
C946D8E0-E31C-4BD1-A63B-6FC2E53FF5BA.jpeg

Last edited:
I use a bulls bag as well with a rear bag, have a couple different ones for different guns. I too have a wooden box to raise my bull bag 3-3 1/2". Down side is it's heavy. I can drive right up to my bench though so it isn't that bad. I also have 1/8" rubber gasket material cut just a little bigger than my wooden box for shims if you will. I am more comfortable behind the bull bag than I am a front rest myself.

For field use I have homeade bags with sand or rice mostly, or shoot off a pack.

I just got a Caldwell tack driver that Ill be using as a front rest and then a rear v rest to go along with it. Haven't tried it yet but I think it's going to be very stable. We will see

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.