Shooting Rest/ Lead Sled?

Autorotate19

Hey I was wondering what some of you guys use for a vise when shooting and load development to take the human error out of it. I'm shooting a 7mm rem mag and it doesn't kick that hard honestly. I feel like when shooting at paper I get around 15 good shots before i start feeling flinchy. I dry fire a lot during practice to try to minimize it but after so many shots I just don't shoot as well. Do any of you guys use the lead sleds or something like that and how do you like them. I honestly would just like to take all human error out of load development and things would be so much easier. I usually always just shoot of sand bags. Thanks!

I have a lead sled and don't use it much, I feel it gives flaky results due to the weird recoil of the rifle when the butt doesn't move freely back into a shoulder so the forend goes bouncing up into the air.

so sometimes I get a good group, sometimes not so good.

I have toyed with the idea of building a sliding or rolling frame or platform to hold the lead sled and let it recoil more normally

I would think a bench rest of the style the benchrest shooters use would be better.

Poole

I use the Rock BR by Caldwell and a rear sand bag, the rabbit ear type. Even when just sighting in or doing load development, I like to keep my shooting form the same and not depend too much on a rest.

Try one of the Pact recoil shields. Another idea, is to have a brake installed. I never thought I would, but with the rebarrel I'm having done right now, I'm having a brake and threaded cap installed.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.