Shooting max load bad for the rifle?

Alucard

Hey guys. I sure do have alot of questions for the 300 RUM. I was wondering, is shooting MAX loads for the bullet weight worse for the rifle as compared to shooting MIN loads for the bullet weight?

This is for the 300 RUM, and the loads are for 168 gr bullets to 220 gr bullets. Thanks for the info guys!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have always pushed the envelope trying to get more out of my rifles sometimes more than they are suppose to give.Maximum loads are what they are.If you are shooting maximum loads in 50 degree weather you **** sure better reduce your load to shoot in warmer temperatures!!!If you are going to run max loads be sure and don't rapid fire your rifle and be sure and clean it after the firing session.There are several guys here more qualified to answer your questions than me
maybe them will have input.

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering, is shooting MAX loads for the bullet weight worse for the rifle as compared to shooting MIN loads for the bullet weight?

[/ QUOTE ]

YES - In that "max" loads produce more heat and pressure which invariably shortens throat life. It also greatly shortens cartridge case life as compared to "min" listed loads. Loads above "max" are detrimental to the firearm itself.

Since very few shooters have any reliable way of determining when they are actually using a "max" load, you can bet that many shooters are unwittingly using loads that are quite a bit beyond the maximum SAAMI pressure limits eastablished for their particular cartridge.

How many times have you read (on the net) about someone who is getting velocities well above what the loading manuals indicate. In all likelyhood, they are exceeding established maximum pressure limits. You know the saying there's no free lunch.

I'd suggest using a good chronograph along with your reloading manual when working up loads.

VH

Ok, thanks alot for the info guys. I guess I will reduce the load that I am using to save some barrel wear. Thanks again!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.