Shooting long range help

Is there a technique for relating seating depth to horizontal spread? I remember in archery you could read the paper tears so you could adjust the rest, spine, etc...
Perhaps. But it's a pretty simple solution to try some different seating depths to see if it works itself out. I'm sure someone much smarter than me might have more input as to how to relate the two. But it's worth a try. If no improvement, look elsewhere

Also, if you can't call a shot that you may have pulled, ssslllllloooooooooowwwwww down. If you think you might have pulled, you probably did

If they were exactly identical velocity, bc / geometry, bullet weight, and fired from barrels that exhibited exactly identical harmonics, then you could reasonably expect the same flight paths from 2 different calibers. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.
Many years ago when I was just getting into rifles and deer hunting I read some where that the .50 big had nearly identical ballistics as the 30-06. The .50 shoots 500 grain bullets and 06, 150 grain. I don't remember the exact load data for either, it was 30 years ago! Technology has come a long way since, and this may have been disproven by now however if this proves true then you should be able to duplicate the flight path of the creedmore with the 308 or certainly 06 or Win Mag. Bc and sd being the same or similar and velocities to accommodate for change in bullet weight. However recoil would also increase and maybe that is why the creedmore is becoming so popular. That's why I went from 06 to 308 and also have a 243. From what I've read the creedmore is mild on recoil as is the 257 Roberts. I just don't see the need for a "new" caliber unless there is a significant improvement over what's already available. My understanding is that the main advantage to the creedmore is that ammunition manufacturers are putting much more quality control into creedmore ammo. If the would have done that with 25-06, 264 Rem, 6.5x55 and 257 Roberts the creedmore advantage would probably disappear.

Is there a technique for relating seating depth to horizontal spread? I remember in archery you could read the paper tears so you could adjust the rest, spine, etc...
A Ladder test, you can do a powder and seating depth Ladder test.

I must be missing something. This is a hunting rifle, and that group looks to be .6 moa or so at 400 yds! What's wrong with that! It'll kill anything you shoot it at?!?
Now, if you want to shoot bugholes and benchrest, get a diff caliber, a 25 lb plus rifle, 40-50 power scope and an adjustable front rest, rear rabbit ear rest and a bunch of wind flags🤯

I didn't see what kind of chronograph you used that could make a big difference too. I use a megneto speed for my latter test to find the velocity nodes. After that I will test at 100 yards to see how they group. If they group decent I will then make up more of the same load and run it over the megneto speed to get an es sd numbers. I did this way with my 6.5 creedmoor and it worked very well. At 550 yards we were busting fist sized rocks. Now I'm also working on my big game rifle it's a 7mag have been working with rl26 and retumbo with 180berger vld hunting and Hornady 175g eldx.

I must be missing something. This is a hunting rifle, and that group looks to be .6 moa or so at 400 yds! What's wrong with that! It'll kill anything you shoot it at?!?
Now, if you want to shoot bugholes and benchrest, get a diff caliber, a 25 lb plus rifle, 40-50 power scope and an adjustable front rest, rear rabbit ear rest and a bunch of wind flags🤯

Not sure but I think you are confusing posts. OP has not posted any target pix unless I missed something. Otherwise you are spot on!

You're 100% on 100 yards, not being reliable?!

When I first joined this group I was in load development and got hammered for my 100 yard 1 hole groups.
They all had stories that some rounds can shoot sub 1/2 MOA at 100, and then begin opening up at 300-400 so that at 600 you are better than 1MOA. (Not my experience, but those regarded as good shooters.)
Lots of different theories as to why, but my experience has shown I can tell much more from a 200-300 yard group than a 100 if you are already less than 1 MOA. So now I never shoot at 100 except to zero. I do my testing at 300.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.