Shooting into the sun?

ravot22

Had issues getting my scope on a whitetail deer as I had to aim into a setting sun.

It was the sun sneaking into the eye relief area that gave me issues. I had a sunshade on the front of the scope. . . The brim of a hat didn't help.

What are some tips you can share?

I've used a rag over my head to shade what your talking about. Maybe a glove, shirt, etc.? Depending on the situation and time available.

My at home range faces SW and the afternoon sun in the winter follows just above the ridge behind the targets.

Agree with Gwine, try to find something to block it. You don't mention your shooting position. If prone, a pack would suffice, maybe even a boot to shade your eyes. Otherwise a jacket or shirt, whatever you have on hand, thrown over your head to bridge the gap between your eye and the scope without interfering with your vision should work. If with a partner, he could shade you with his body or another hat.

As others have said, find something to block the sun. I have the same issue late afternoon in my long range practice spot. If prone, putting a pack between you and the sun helps and or draping a shirt/jacket/whatever you have over you head and the scope's eyepieces. Another thing to consider, especially if you run a brake, is putting something underneath the muzzle to stop dust/dirt from flying up in the air as it kinda stays suspended in the air and makes your target vanish.

Swarovski make an item called the WES or winged eye-cup set for their binoculars that prevent exactly what you are having issues with. Maybe you could get some very soft neoprene tube the right diameter of your eyepiece and cut it on an angle to prevent the stray light?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.