Shooting in the heat

For anyone thinking I am shooting too many shots in succession and getting the gun too hot, not to worry, that is not the case. I let the gun cool between each shot, usually several minutes according to the data on my Labradar. I am just looking for a better way to cool the gun with this oppressive summer heat. Thanks for all the great suggestions so far!

Several years ago I had a total joint replacement done to my left shoulder. For several weeks after I had to keep my shoulder iced down. I used a small machine that has a small ice cooler connected to a fan that pumps cold air through an insulated hose to a dispersing plate that distributes the air to the area needing cooling. Immediately I thought, "barrel chiller!" Thanks to my insurance company for paying for it I decided to repurpose it for cooling down my barrels. Although it had a 110AC plug the fan is identical to a computer cooling fan that runs on 5V so I rewired it and connected it to a trail camera 6V battery pack. Then I cut off the end of a plastic funnel and attached it to the end of the hose so it would fit inside the action pointing down the chamber of my rifles. It would be relatively easy to make one by putting a fan inside of a plastic box with a nipple on each end to attach the hoses and drilling a hole through a small cooler to run one hose through.
This thing, once filled with ice, will cool a barrel in a few minutes.

Way cool brother. No joke. Good repurposing job, Gonna look at hooking up my cooler to my pump. Thanks !

I've been using a very simple minnow bucket aerator that just pushes air down barrel with tygon tubing. If really hot, get one of those crazy glasses that has a sippy plastic straw wound all around inside it before going out. I just add crushed ice and water and hook tygon up so it is a simple air exchanger that helps a bit. These pumps are dirt cheap and they do work ok. Some guys run the tygon into a small cooler with crushed ice and water for same effect. Been doing this for about 25+ years, and I can't remember the last time I actually used this pump on a minnow bucket😂

Try load development here in AZ with summer temps hitting 100 Early and getting above 110 regularly. You learn to do 3-5 shot groups and then chance rifles.
I worked in AZ for a short bit about 20 years ago, so I feel you on the heat. I remember the first time I walked outside at night there after my arrival. I thought it would start to cool down being that is was after 10pm, walked outside and felt like a hair dryer blasting me in the face..... Too hot for sure.

I pack a water bottle or beer for me and a water bottle for the rifle and a rag.....water for the rifle don't have to be too cold as it don't take much to cool it down, but I get the rag wet and wipe it on the barrel until it's cooled some and repeat after every 2-3 shots. I try not to have ice cold water for the gun, just me!

On really hot days I'll take a small cooler with a rag and ice water and wipe down the exterior of my barrels to keep them cool. It usually only takes a couple minutes to get varmint contour barrels back down to near ambient temp.

We have done this for years and it works very well. Shooting Silhouette matches in the summer sometimes there aren't many shooters and there isn't enough time between relays for the barrel to cool down.

For the ammo a little ice chest with ice packs, this way the ammo does not get wet.

I worked in AZ for a short bit about 20 years ago, so I feel you on the heat. I remember the first time I walked outside at night there after my arrival. I thought it would start to cool down being that is was after 10pm, walked outside and felt like a hair dryer blasting me in the face..... Too hot for sure.

Its hot and then some.

Its actually nice today, only 99, but will be back to 109 degrees this weekend.

Phoenix does not cool down at all, here it does a bit especially if you live in the outskirta where there isnt much asphalt and concrete.

Also as others mentioned, I take several rifles as well and take turns, thats when I'm not shooting a match.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.