Shooting in the heat

Several years ago I had a total joint replacement done to my left shoulder. For several weeks after I had to keep my shoulder iced down. I used a small machine that has a small ice cooler connected to a fan that pumps cold air through an insulated hose to a dispersing plate that distributes the air to the area needing cooling. Immediately I thought, "barrel chiller!" Thanks to my insurance company for paying for it I decided to repurpose it for cooling down my barrels. Although it had a 110AC plug the fan is identical to a computer cooling fan that runs on 5V so I rewired it and connected it to a trail camera 6V battery pack. Then I cut off the end of a plastic funnel and attached it to the end of the hose so it would fit inside the action pointing down the chamber of my rifles. It would be relatively easy to make one by putting a fan inside of a plastic box with a nipple on each end to attach the hoses and drilling a hole through a small cooler to run one hose through.
This thing, once filled with ice, will cool a barrel in a few minutes.

Chamber Chiller. This is a small but very effective device that really speeds up barrel cool down. Runs off of one of the accessory batteries I use for my LabRadar with USB plug.
31taPJPQwmL._SX90_.jpg
31taPJPQwmL._SX90_.jpg

$41 on Amazon

Good info. Def use the ice chest for sure.. And I just purchased an air pump that runs off a 12v battery. I dont want to stop shooting just because it is hot outside.
Ice and coolers are for refreshments think of how much a barrel heats and expands when it cools it contracts I just would not want to get my barrel hot and hit it with something like ice water or icy wet rag cooling it too fast I don't believe is good either

I used to compete in the Canadian Bkack Powder BC Summer games which were held in August and temps very hot.
Barrels would get so hot one could hardly touch them. There were several cases of DIESELING which is when the patched ball is pushed down on top of the powder and ignited. Not a good thing!!!
The ones in the know used ice water soaked towels and between strings lay em over the barrels to cool em off.

Hey guys! With the start of summer and the heat, what are you all doing to keep your barrel cool and ammo cool. Obviously shade and shooting early is important. But wanted to hear what tricks-of-the-trade everyone is using. It is in the 90s pretty much everyday npw with high humidity..... I despise the heat... longing for cool fall days!

Hope everyone is having a good start to your summer and staying healthy!
I stay home in the AC and drink cold beer until Fall arrives.

I have one, called the chamber chiller, but the plastic melts in my chamber and leaves red plastic residue. Does yours?
Saw it in use at the range. If it's melting I'd say you have a lot of heat, lol. Normally I fire 1-2 minutes apart, and let it stovepipe cool (muzzle up) while I do something else. Must be better stuff out there to address heat.
In Arizona summers, its almost impossible to not over heat the rifle unless you're way up in elevation and forest not closed for shooting due to fire restrictions.
I'm giving up for the summer.

Several years ago I had a total joint replacement done to my left shoulder. For several weeks after I had to keep my shoulder iced down. I used a small machine that has a small ice cooler connected to a fan that pumps cold air through an insulated hose to a dispersing plate that distributes the air to the area needing cooling. Immediately I thought, "barrel chiller!" Thanks to my insurance company for paying for it I decided to repurpose it for cooling down my barrels. Although it had a 110AC plug the fan is identical to a computer cooling fan that runs on 5V so I rewired it and connected it to a trail camera 6V battery pack. Then I cut off the end of a plastic funnel and attached it to the end of the hose so it would fit inside the action pointing down the chamber of my rifles. It would be relatively easy to make one by putting a fan inside of a plastic box with a nipple on each end to attach the hoses and drilling a hole through a small cooler to run one hose through.
This thing, once filled with ice, will cool a barrel in a few minutes.
I got one of those. Thanks for a great idea!

Hey guys! With the start of summer and the heat, what are you all doing to keep your barrel cool and ammo cool. Obviously shade and shooting early is important. But wanted to hear what tricks-of-the-trade everyone is using. It is in the 90s pretty much everyday npw with high humidity..... I despise the heat... longing for cool fall days!

Hope everyone is having a good start to your summer and staying healthy!
You can always do a little dry firing exercises between strings....fire 3 shot groups..... And go fire another three dry..... Slowly...check your form, cheek weld, grip.... slower is better!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.