Shooting/Hunting Partners in WA

I am the new guy around these parts and new to long range rifle work. I've spent years with handguns, shotguns, and some carbines but decided I need the challenge of long range and I want to start hunting. Here's a bit about the rifle setup I've chosen and a few questions I have being a new long range addict.

Long story short, I am looking for people in the Western WA area ideally, the entire state, and possibly N. Oregon also that would like to get together and shoot and share knowledge. I don't know anyone in the area that enjoys the challenge of long range rifle work.

A bit about me: 31, Welder/Fabricator, Eager to learn long range rifle and proper hunting skills as I grew up in a non-outdoors family. I am free most weekends. Seahawks, Sounders, and good beer and scotch are also things I enjoy.

Your profile says you are in Seattle. You might try the Upper Nisqually Gun Club, they run a practical/tactical match on the first Sun of each month. They also run 600 yd benchrest comps. It seems like there a good number of LR shooters that hang out there. If you are in Sea though that may be a bit of a drive South for you. I don't know of any ranges closer to your end but I would look for some and see what their longest range is. If it's in the 500 yd area you will probably find some shooters.

Shoot me a PM and I'll help you if I can.

I just moved to the area in December, so I am new also. I have gone to the Cascade Shooting Facilities to shoot. They have open range time twice a month for non members. The range that is open is only 200 yards, but it will get you sighted in and use to the gun. All of the guys there have been really nice and informative too.

I have been reading the hunting regulations, but the maps are a bit messed up for me.

I have been told that on the other side of the range is a 1000 yard shooting range, but have not gone yet.

Hey Black, I will send you a PM. I also just heard about some public land just over an hour east that has plenty of terrain and distances to work with. I'd be interested in going out that way to practice.

interlake in kirland is extremely convenient for sighting in and testing handloads. the rifle range is at the bottom of a ravine so there is rarely any wind. the 200 yards available there is plenty for accuracy testing.

Made it out to the public day at Cascade Rifle and Pistol Club with forum member Black67. Good times and a great range not too far from Seattle. Too bad they have a 2-3 year waiting list to join their membership.

Upper nisqually does have monthly matches but your rifke won't be allowed in them. They have a no magnum rule and it really isn't needed with a 550 yd range. Lots of shooters in the area attend it and will give you a chance to learn.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.