Shooting How Far?

Well said JE. I had a shot two years ago at 1362 in perfect conditions... and I passed. Big heavy 6 point bull across the canyon. I was well set up and conditions were ideal. The sun was reflecting off what looked like random spider webs floating in the air, and they weren't moving. I've done a lot of shooting at that range, enough to know a small mistake could cause a bad hit. I watched that bull for some 20 minutes but just didn't want to take a chance.

Thanks all. I didn't mean for this to become an ethics/moral quiz. I assumed the nature of the site had us all open to the idea, our own idea of "Long Range" hunting. I am just curious how many people are actually taking shots, really past 600 yards. It is tough to find ranges in a lot of the country that you can shoot past 600 and even with that, to practice from 600 to 1000 is tough. Ballistic charts are a good start, but at those distances there is simply no substitute for real practice. Variations in velocity and atmosphere can have very drastic effect on point of aimpact, as well as the human element of calculating wind speed and the trigger control. While it sounds like many of us practice to extend our capabilities to those great distances, there are actually not that many people taking game past 500 yards.

I don't know how long a shot I will take in the future. So far, 90 percent of my hunting has been in Deep South Texas in Brush—for whitetails and hogs. And so far, my longest shot was on a Colorado Mulie hunt at somewhere around 200 yards. Nor have I practiced at longer ranges.

I am now outfitting myself for what this site defines as "long range" but not "ultra long range" shots. I have chosen to make my near-term goal to be able to consider taking a shot at game at 600 yards. Here are my considerations:

1. I have two custom rifles capable of effective accuracy at that and even longer ranges—if and only to the extent I prove myself able to take advantage of that accuracy.

2. I have chosen to go the Swarovski dS route—thus effectively removing the need to twist the turrets—if it works as advertised—and doesn't do a Murphy's Law on me out back of beyond—it will be basically point-and-shoot. (And yes, I realize that the both words "point" and "shoot" entail so much more on my part).

3. I have a couple of pastures—small by Texas standards—in other words, they ain't the King Ranch—where I can (barely) put up steel out to about—wait for it—600 yards. So if I can get my confidence (and more importantly—my competence—levels up at that distance—with suitable wind conditions (which the dS does not help with very much)—then and only then—when out West—depending on how I feel about the shot—how the reticle is wavering or not—I may squeeze the trigger. Or I may not!

4. If I get to where I can reliably pound those squirrels at 600 yards, then I might be tempted to doze the mesquites out to extend the range out to 800 or so.

Also, I have an enormous amount of what I wish were superior [highly sarcastic]! wisdom to bestow on the "ethical" questions involved with hunting—and while they are relevant to the OP's questions—and your answers—they would border on hijacking what I believe his real purpose to be—so will save them for another new thread at some point.

Best regards,

Russ

Last edited:
I think most of us from the earlier days of this site came here and hang out here so we can learn how to do a better job of hunting with emphasis on the shooting part, I don't really think I know anyone who simply wanted to just shoot farther but the distance is born out of the proficiency and the knowledge that comes with diving into doing the killing part of hunting with clean and lethal precision. Personally I think we owe it to the animals we hunt to take them as clean and quickly as possible in the least stressful manner, that's what drove me to this site many years ago.
As we work our way to precision we also add range so we have the resolution to see where we need to improve and to learn, when I had worked out to where I was hammering it at 800-1000 yards it was amazing the precision and the improvement there was at 300 or 400 yards, no longer was just getting one in the vitals an option but that drove the idea that I can target exactly where I want a bullet. Moving out farther to drive more resolution to improve simply give a guy more and better tools in the tool box, there are the occasions where we can push out into what seems more extreme ranges on the face of it but the reality the shot was take because getting closer was of no advantage, the hunting had been done and it was time to kill and that should be done with the animal in mind, hunt all you want before that but at trigger pulling time hunting it DONE and we owe it to the game to be as proficient at the killing aspect as we are at the hunting.
All of our longer range kills have come in places where we have shot the shot before, we shoot and practice in our hunting areas, I've hunting them so I know where they frequently move and pattern up so I can and do go in all of the year and shoot those spots and have them down pat, I walk all of the terrain with a wind meter, smoke and whatever else it takes to add to my knowledge on the shot. I have notes on each kill and small maps of the wind movement from the past. The precision with which I can kill a game animal has taken the value of my hunt to the next level, I hunt way, way harder now because not only am I looking for a specific animal I'm looking for a specific shot so when the hunt ends it was the best it could possibly be, it's not about range or size anymore but quality!!

Thanks all. I didn't mean for this to become an ethics/moral quiz. I assumed the nature of the site had us all open to the idea, our own idea of "Long Range" hunting. I am just curious how many people are actually taking shots, really past 600 yards. It is tough to find ranges in a lot of the country that you can shoot past 600 and even with that, to practice from 600 to 1000 is tough. Ballistic charts are a good start, but at those distances there is simply no substitute for real practice. Variations in velocity and atmosphere can have very drastic effect on point of aimpact, as well as the human element of calculating wind speed and the trigger control. While it sounds like many of us practice to extend our capabilities to those great distances, there are actually not that many people taking game past 500 yards.

I'm not going to preach ethics to anyone just because they can shoot better than me and make a longer shots consistently. I'm the one that has to live with my mistakes so I don't judge.

My opinion on this is that I would like to be ready for that long shot even though I never need it. Before I started shooting matches, I though a 400 yard shot on a deer was a long shot. once I learned that with proper equipment and lots of practice, 1200 yards was not only possible but with iron sites doable. As bigngreen stated, I have become a much better shot at the close shots because I understand all of the elements and long rang shoot/hunting has done this. the reason is simple. The longer the shot, the more critical everything becomes.

I don't think anyone can tell you what a long shot is, only what it is for them. It is not only the range that increases the difficulty but the size of the target and even the accuracy of the point of impact aimed at. Don't pay attention to what other people say they can do, just try to get proficient at longer ranges and know your limits. There is always someone that can out shoot you. so just compete with your self and you just may surprise your self how good you are and how far you can shoot/hunt.

Not preaching, just saying

J E CUSTOM

The precision one develops shooting at long range has short range applications as well. I once spied a cow elk lying in deep grass and all I cold see was her head. I lay prone for a good 20 minutes waiting for her to stand up. I was freezing and about to move when it occurred she was only about 150 yards away! I could hit a quarter at that range. I held on the base of her skull and dropped her in her bed.

Get as close as you can...and usually you can. If that means 400,500,600,etc etc be sure you can make the shot in the given conditions. Crippling an animal will ruin your hunt and future hunts/bad memories. If it does not bother you to wound one, something is wrong with you.....most big game for me have been under 200yds(80%), 200+15%, 350+ 5% this in cover and clear to 2000yds....crazy how far you can crawl sometimes....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.