Shooting House - Down Range Doors

Need to build some big shoot thru silencer tubes....20" perf pipe wrapped in eggcrate foam....then wrapped in tarp to keep water off...i know a guy went so far as to use tires the full 10' length to knock out even more noise....can hardly hear an AR go

10 it's 10Tires was my suggestion also lined them up vertically sideways one after the other I'll just throw a number out there Lachey 10 it's almost like baffles in Asia pressure
Tired was my suggestion also let's say you line up 10 of them sideways but vertical and shoot through them they would be just like the baffles in a suppressor

I believe whatever sickness I had is finally giving up. Still not all the way back but it was warm yesterday so I got one door done.
1st Set Struts A.jpg
1st Set Struts B.jpg

Yes they take all the load. Very easy to open - have to watch out they don't open too fast and 'bounce' when they are at the end of travel. Closing takes a little bit of effort, but no big deal.

Was looking at how to attach a video, but there doesn't seem to be an option for mp4 files. Am I missing something?

Okay, all struts are installed. My body appears to have healed, the weather was nice, the wind cooperated and my brother stopped by to help. Not a big job but some parts were awkward for one person.

I will be adding bracing to the inside of the door frame. Naturally it had to work out that the upper bracket mounting came right at a major joint in the framing. Should I have done that differently? Probably. Is there plenty of room to add whatever bracing/stengthening I need? Oh yeah. When complete will the doors be working perfectly? Yup.
KIMG2487.jpg
KIMG2488.jpg
KIMG2490.jpg
KIMG2491.jpg

Okay, all struts are installed. My body appears to have healed, the weather was nice, the wind cooperated and my brother stopped by to help. Not a big job but some parts were awkward for one person.

I will be adding bracing to the inside of the door frame. Naturally it had to work out that the upper bracket mounting came right at a major joint in the framing. Should I have done that differently? Probably. Is there plenty of room to add whatever bracing/stengthening I need? Oh yeah. When complete will the doors be working perfectly? Yup.
View attachment 266046View attachment 266047View attachment 266048View attachment 266049
Very nice and well done

View attachment 266046View attachment 266047View attachment 266048View attachment 266049
Really nice set up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I built several shooting houses from the metal frame and canvas type material. Thr big bad wolf came by and blew them down. I made plans to make a new house simular like yours.

Really nice set up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I built several shooting houses from the metal frame and canvas type material. Thr big bad wolf came by and blew them down. I made plans to make a new house simular like yours.
Lol, your experience is exactly what lead to this.

We were using the metal frame 10x20 tents with the heavy plastic 'canvas'. Was at work when my then early-teens son called to say the wind was beating them up. Me the grew-up-farming Dad said: "Keep an eye on them". In my world this meant: "If it looks like they will be destroyed, strengthen the tie downs if needed - or take them down right now." Instead he "kept an eye on them" from his bedroom window, and dutifully called me to relate the news that the wind had ripped both tents out of the ground and rolled them into a ball of torn fabric and mangled metal which found a new home in a tangled stand of boxelder trees.

I can (kinda) laugh now - but it has been over fifteen years ago too.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.